• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Which parts of a consumer unit are copper? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am getting into the habit of stripping fuse boxes and consumer units when I replace them. However I was wondering which parts of the CU are copper.

Neutral and earth bars?
The screws in the neutral and earth bars?
The bit that the old BS3036 fuses push into?

I enjoy pottering for a few hours taking them apart. I don't like the thought of them going to landfill which I expect some do even when taken to the recycle centre. But I would like to make sure I'm not mixing metals when I eventually (in many years) weigh them in for scrap.

So apart from the question above regarding which parts are copper It would be good to know what you think a scrap yard would do if I had inadvertently mixed brass with copper? How would they actually know if it's all mixed in together and mainly copper? I'd rather avoid this though and just have copper.

Here is a picture of a few of the bits in my bucket so far..

I'll be taking out the brass banjo!

Attachments

• Which parts of a consumer unit are copper? copper - EletriciansForums.net
    copper.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 50
Hockey stick link and flat busbar are copper. Fuse contact blocks, neutral bar, earth rod clamp are brass. Fuse contact springs may be phosphor bronze. Neutral bar screws are BZP steel, screws in back of fuse busbar might be brass.

All of the above components except the BZP screws are self-colour, i.e. the bits that look like copper and brass are indeed copper and brass. Nickel-plated brass used to be common in switchgear but less so now. That can be mistaken for steel so test with magnet.

In modern CU's the earyth and neutral bars are brass with steel screws.
In the old Wylex CU's the earth and neutral bars are brass with brass screws.
The busbar is copper, the solid blocks attached to it are brass and I think the sprung contact may be brass too.
The terminal blocks for outgoing lives are brass.

You should be able to tell by the colour of the bare metal, just give it a quick clean.

If you mix brass in with copper the scrap dealer might only pay the price of brass, which is less than for copper, for the whole lot, or may class it as mixed metals and pay you pennies.

most banjos are brass. rub a file on it to be sure. brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. that's why it' fetches less.
[automerge]1590698913[/automerge]
Probably "brassed"... that new wonder material that fools the general public.
you mean like CCA and CCS cat5 and phone cables?

I just hung it all in to the scrappy and let them sort through it. Mine often gets flustered with big deliveries and things get overlooked in my favour ? particularly if you make an ‘effort’ to give them a bag/box of non copper (eyes stage right!).

Reply to Which parts of a consumer unit are copper? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back