Discuss Which Wholesaler Now? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

My local Wilts with whom I had a cash trade account has been taken over by Kew Electrical. Never used them before!

This seems to be a good time to review who I use as my main supplier.

I'm a self employed DI. I want a cash trade account. I generally use Wylex CUs + GET or MK accessories. My local suppliers are now Denman, Kew, CEF and Edmundson.

Who is likely to give me the best prices and have the best stock for domestic work including SWA off the drum?

I had an account with CEF a few years ago but got fed up with a lack of basic stock and having to query the invoices every month!

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used CEF previously but I steer clear of them due to lack of service and shocking prices. I have always found Denmans to be great help, only experience is my local branch of them, and they have always been competitive of prices.

Andy

I used the same supplier for years (Local supplier) and well was quite happy until there costs starting rising.. So I put a tender out with a basic rewire fit out quote to 10 local suppliers and was amazed with the price difference beetween them.. Nearly £100 in total all on branded gear.

Needless to say it was time for a change..

The only 2 places close to me is CEF or Screwfix. CEF prices are ridiculous sometimes and what really annoys me is they don't put prices on their website. Screwfix for me is ok for a few bits. But when I need a lot of stuff I have to travel further a field to denmans or order online from TLC

I think some if not most wholesalers have lost the plot needed a small contactor a few weeks ago to fix a fault in a commercial kitchen tried 6 wholesalers none had any stock and only got them in to order ended up at the local Toolstation got a DOL starter off the shelf and binned the enclosure.

The way it is going the wholesalers won't be the first choice when buying gear

My local Wilts with whom I had a cash trade account has been taken over by Kew Electrical. Never used them before!

I'm a self employed DI. I want a cash trade account. I generally use Wylex CUs + GET or MK accessories. My local suppliers are now Denman, Kew, CEF and Edmundson.

Who is likely to give me the best prices and have the best stock for domestic work including SWA off the drum?

I had an account with CEF a few years ago but got fed up with a lack of basic stock and having to query the invoices every month!

Pete

they havn,t changed

CEF here in Spain started off really good but now going down hill fast. nowt in stock and when it is its very expensive. Its the basic everyday things they seem short of and dont seem to know when or if the're even getting them

Pete

I doubt you'll find Eddys cheap. The two words don't go hand in hand.
Denmans can be good for certain stuff.

Haggle hard with them all :)

Open accounts with them all and make it known to the reps that you have accounts with them all and play them off against each other, they are all trying to make as much as they can. One of my mates is a manager at CEF and the bonuses they get are fairly good he tells me.

I just tell him to stop taking the p**s and he always drops the price..........and he is a mate

Use 2 or 3 on a regular basis and make sure that they all know you are using others.... then they have to be careful with their pricing!

Hi PiratePete,

Kew are good mate. I have an account with them for all my commercial, light industrial, basic home automation and A/V gear. They are not quite as cheap as TLC which are who I use for my domestic and light commercial gear but they are close on price and they have a far bigger and better range of stock. Their service is outstanding and they will go out of their way to help you. Finally, all of their gear is top quality!

As an example, I tend to only use Eaton MEM for my LV switchgear and distribution and I get it from Kew 30% cheaper than I can get it from Eddies, now that is a considerable difference! Also, when I'm stuck for a part Kew don't normally stock, they'll be on the phone to manufacturer and part will be in branch next day! You'll wait a week with any other wholesaler!

Go down the route of CEF and you will find yourself on the brink of suicide! Their prices are astronomical and their gear is crap! The only thing redeeming about CEF, or my local branch anyway is good customer service. Other than that, visiting CEF is nothing but a time and money wasting excersise.

Reply to Which Wholesaler Now? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net