Discuss Who still enjoys being an electrician? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a very good question to ask on an electricians forum as I guess one of the reasons you are on here is because you still enjoy discussing electrics.

But It would be interesting to know if you still enjoy doing the job? Whether you prefer domestic, commercial etc?

I get immense satisfaction out of nearly every electrical job I do, I realise this may diminish over time (probably will) but i wonder if some of you still get it sometimes or has it dissappeard?

Cheers guys...

I love it still. I'm mostly commercial and I still get a massive kick out of repairing faults and wiring new circuits and seeing peoples reactions when it's all completed. Also the change in the industry is rapid especially with the led lighting at the moment.

I'm 52 in September and have been doing this since I left school at 16. I can honestly say that I still love being an electrician. There's bits of the job that i hate but by and large I love what I do.
I love the variation, mostly I'm commercial but that's a wide ranging thing. I can be fitting a shop out one day or wiring a couple of extra lights the next. I love fault finding I don't mind domestic work in small doses although the thought of an occupied rewire fills me with dread.
I like meeting people and my job brings me into contact with people I wouldn't normally meet, I do a lot of work for our local asian and chinese communities who ordinarily I'd never cross their paths if it were not for the job.

Bloody hate it but I like to dress like one.

I've been called worse Trev

Well I am going to bed, I think i have had my fair share of being Bullied by members, ridiculed by certain Mod's and handled it all with great dignity.:leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving:

How much do they pay you and how many do you have to do in a day?

The money is not all that, put it that way, but it suits me, all me kids have grown up I live on me own, and I am still playing with electricity. lol Do about 10 to 13 a day, depending on travel.

I love being an Electrician but I hate Contracting, I have been doing it too long and working with Builders has worn me out. However actually being an Electrician is great, I will always be in the trade in some form, but not working on building sites.

i love it.... as much as i hate darwin(nothing to do) everyday i know theres not going to be a cloud in the sky and sit at 33 degrees. leave for work at 5.30am.. start work on site at 6.30. watch the sunrise with an ice coffee then hit it . as for working in.england... **** that been there got my tickets im off haha

Although I'm out of it these days I still enjoy it when I get a call to help out a mate,one day last week saw me 40 foot up in a cage on a telehandler wiring a new motor on a trash elevator,the best bit was someone else had the struggle to mount it then I just connected it up,it was a bit breezy but the view was great.

I'm lucky in the sense that I've always loved doing electrics and I take great pride in my work.
I hear others moaning about their jobs and I'm glad I don't feel like that.
I could do with a full time job but at 56 most employers think I'm well over the hill.
I think I'll have to start my own firm " Gerry Hat -Trick Electric "

Reply to Who still enjoys being an electrician? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net