Search the forum,

Discuss Why would one GU10 keep failing? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

Have a customer with one particular downlight with a constantly popping light. According to her she's replaced it once a week over the last few weeks. She says she hasn't touched the lamp with her fingers when replacing it. Anyone got any other ideas why this would be happening? Cheers.

try changing the lampholder and check all connections, poss poor one in JB. doesn't matter if you handle a GU10, the actual halogen is enclosed. or , is she buying cheapo GU10s?

Last edited:
I would change it for one thats been working for a while and go from there

There may be a loose contact causing some problem,but I doubt it
There may be less heat disipating than the others,but I doubt it
She might have handled the lamps with care,but I doubt it
She might have bought a decent make of lamp,but I doubt it

I am a doubter on this subject as you can gather :) ,crap lamp being replaced by crap lamp is the most likely in my opinion

I explain to people who have these contraptions fitted,that whereas a single center lamp in each room may add up to 10 lights in total,they now have the whole quantity of an house in one room
In the past they wouldn't bat an eyelid if a lamp went out occasionally,but when they are all lumped together and the heat generated is out of this world,What do they expect

cheaper gas bills, des. due to heat generated by GU10s. take it you don't like them

Had same problem. I changed the fitting and checked jb like posts above and now fine. Note to self, always buy quality fittings. It's ok saving a couple of quid but not when your getting called out time after time. Good tip about changing bulb for a proven one.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Is a loose connection really that much of a threat to a halogen light?

Wouldn't have thought it's being walked over it is a bungalow with only attic space above.

It is in a bathroom.... is steam likely to be an issue? Look like pretty cheap fittings... they are above the magic 2.35 meters where, as we all know, steam cannot possibly reach so are not enclosed.

Does anyone reckon putting an LED or maybe a CFL in would fix a problem if I can't find a loose connection etc, or are they more temperamental than normal halogens (hard to imagine).

Is it cold in the attic , i know it may sound daft but the sudden change of temerature could rupture the fillament in a way dimmers could increase the lamp life by gradually heating the fillament also as the guys have said cheap lamps faulty lamp holders

A loose connection normally associated with the pre-crimped pins on the lampholder or lamp will generate extra heat and usually give a failure within the lamp base where the white resin filler can be seen, also if you buy lamps at shop and walk home with them bouncing around in the shopping back this can also reduce the lamp life dramatically as the filiment multilple coiled loops get tangled thus lowering filament resistance and burning hotter, and to answer nickblake re' ambient temperature, this shouldnt be any concern as the lamp life is estimated with thermal shock taken into account and the extreme high running temp of the filiment isnt really going to be effected to much give or take 20 degrees from which it starts from.

I would normally say cheap lamp, don't get me wrong, but all the lamps are the same and this is the only one that keeps going.

Weird...

Last edited by a moderator:
Shall have to see:D it'll be a nice quick fix when you see it first hand, lamp holder replacement, sometimes the internal sprung contacts can get bent out too far making a loose connection or cheap lamps that have bent pins can wreck them then a quick nip up of all the terminal screws if needed :) let us know how it ends

Does anyone reckon putting an LED or maybe a CFL in would fix a problem if I can't find a loose connection etc, or are they more temperamental than normal halogens (hard to imagine).

I find compact fluorescents are much harder wearing than halogens . LED GU10s are supposed to have a tremendously long life span and they also run much cooler so even if the problem is to do with overheating or rapid heating from a cold start they should be unaffected - the problem is i think they are in the region of £25 a lamp!!! The argument is that they do pay for themselves as the power consumption is tiny about 3 watt and they don't need replacing - the green factor might appeal to the client, personally i would make sure i held on to the receipt if i tried them.

I tried some LED GU10's in my bathroom and wasn't impressed. Gave off a blue light and wasn't nearly as bright as the 35W ones I originally had, (supposed to be equal to 50W). Stuck with them for a month before chucking them!

Hi All, first post for me:) been a lurker for ages, I just fitted 4 3w SMD LED GU10's in my kitchen and the light is excellent, they seem brighter than the halogens I took out . I have been looking at LED's for a while and now I have found some which give good light I will definately be recommending them to customers , £7.50 each including postage.

tesco lamps dont last long.

I`ve had a few customers contact me over the last 2-3 years when their tesco lamps, both GU10 and normal BC filament lamps have actually exploded, showering the room with hot glass and bits of filament

Hi All, first post for me:) been a lurker for ages, I just fitted 4 3w SMD LED GU10's in my kitchen and the light is excellent, they seem brighter than the halogens I took out . I have been looking at LED's for a while and now I have found some which give good light I will definately be recommending them to customers , £7.50 each including postage.

Have you got a link to them?

I take it you replaced 20 watt GU10 lamps with these? As that's all they are the equivalent to. The lumens output is well below the 950, you will get from a 50 watt 38 degree mains halogen GU10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Why would one GU10 keep failing? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net