Discuss Wiring a Lamp In The Loft in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Y

yellow-zed

Hi,

I have two flourecent lamps in my loft being run of a plug, i want them to run to a switch.

I looked at the wiring from the bedroom below and am abit confused!

What i have..

I have Phase Neutral Earth coming from the bedroom below them 3 wires got in too a terminal block then coming out of that i have two Phase wires in its own terminal, Then a neutral going in to the lights phase wire?

Im a write in thinking the one where the neutral and phase meet is the loop? Then the neutrals are normal?

And the two phase wires are the main feed?

Thanks In Advance

I would strongly advise getting an electrician in to do it properly. Its one thing to get clarification advise off of a site, but you appear to be struggling with the wiring method used in your case. By telling you what you need to know without knowing your competance, would leave your advisor wide open for possible prosecution/sued should you inadvertantly blow something or someone up. Hope you take this in the caring manner it has be written in.

Regards

the "neutra" going into the lights phase is not neutral sounds like a switched live. without a pic, can't be sure

as graeme says, advice is not concrete. if you are not sure, get a competent sparks in

I Am studying electrical, I should know this but this has frown me as its different from what ive learnt. "Was Typeing fast"

Ill try get a pic but thanks anyway.

firstley in a loft i would only use a enclosed fitting ,this is due to the fact its easy to hit the lamp or if anything falls against it if its on it could be a fire hazard ,especially if they are inadvertantly left on , put a switch in run a twin and earth from the permernant feed in a light fitting to the switch then from the switch to the light fitting in the loft joint the 2 earths together in a terminal block and then the 2 neutrals then you are left with 2 lives connect these to the switch feed in to common feed out to lights L1 , or if you have a switch with L1 L2 L3 feed in to L1 feed out to lights in L2, and of course if in any doubt call in a spark as the other guys have said

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

if you have a multimeter you can test the cables and work out what each does, its a good way of learning and it gives you some experience in the real world of electrics

Reply to Wiring a Lamp In The Loft in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net