Discuss Wiring a Light Switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeyliverpool

First off I haven't got a clue about electrics so I apologize but I am trying to rewire a light switch for a landing light that can also be switched on and off from downstairs.

I have the following light switch:
b3osxk.jpg

And the following wires coming from the wall: (Two red, one black & the green going into the Earth Terminal)
jihrap.jpg

I've tried placing the wires in different sockets but it still won't work.
Would be grateful if anyone could offer there help.

Thanks,

you'll have to post clearer pics, mate. those are pants.

Looks like you have a twin cable there (red and black in same cable) and a single core red c/w earth cable

i would say the single red in its own grey sheating is the common which gos into the top

the other two cables (red n black) go across the bottom 2 terminals, however as its been mentioned above you need a 2way switch, you only have a 1 way because it has only 1 terminal on the bottom

Buy another switch and try again tommorow, make sure you isolate what you got there

Reply to Wiring a Light Switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
Hi, there are 3 bundles of wires coming from my ceiling and I've been told they have been tested with a multimeter and have all got a current but...
Replies
Views
I’ve got the following setup on the stairway (picture included) https://pasteboard.co/15IoYrvn2VgA.webp https://pasteboard.co/2UzMaHCbs1iE.webp...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock