Discuss Wiring lights, help heeded please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DIYfan

-
Reaction score
Hello, simple question, I'm replacing a bedroom light, the replacement light has a very simple block L,N,E

What wiring I have on the ceiling in the old block is 2 black wires connected to the Neutral, 3 x Green and Yellow wires connected to the Earth, these I can understand but what I'm not quite sure about is one black wire in a red sheath connected to the Live and 3 red wires in the block saying loop.

I will obviously stick the E in the E and the N in the N but what about the 3 red loops and black wire in the red sheath that was in the L ? Do I forget about the loop wires and connect the L?

Hope this makes sense, I can post pics if needs be
PS please be kind I have limited knowledge and I can usually wire lights etc but not sure when loop wires involved. Thanks

Thanks, The first is what I'm left with, the 2nd is the new light fittings

Attachments

• 20201001_181751.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201001_181909.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 34
Thanks, is it an electrician job? was hoping I could have it wired up in half an hour, maybe not? Could I just use the existing block and stick the L and N from the new light in instead of using the block that comes with the new one?

Several words of warning here.

First, those reds are permanently live. Must be isolated at your Fusebox/ consumer unit.

Next. Don’t mix up the blacks. The red sleeving denotes a switches live. Sleeving is notorious for slipping off when no one is looking.
Mix them up, you could get live and neutral across a switch. Not good idea.

The hole in the new fitting is too small to take all those cables.

can you get above the ceiling to fix a joint box up there and just have a 3 core flex coming down to the light?

Several words of warning here.

First, those reds are permanently live. Must be isolated at your Fusebox/ consumer unit.

Next. Don’t mix up the blacks. The red sleeving denotes a switches live. Sleeving is notorious for slipping off when no one is looking.
Mix them up, you could get live and neutral across a switch. Not good idea.

The hole in the new fitting is too small to take all those cables.

can you get above the ceiling to fix a joint box up there and just have a 3 core flex coming down to the light?

Thanks, more complicated than I thought, I'm ok with the N, L, E wiring a plug type thing but am not going to mess about too much. I've changed lights in the past, whatever the L,N, E from the light fitting was plumbed into I have just put the LNE from the new light fitting into the same holes and never had any issues
The light I have just took down had only L and N wires so couldn't I just leave the existing block on the ceiling and put the L and N from the new light into the L and N in the existing block?
[automerge]1601577048[/automerge]
Another thing, is it safe to turn the power back on and leave that as it is until I can sort it tomorrow obviously no fingers will be poked anywhere, would like to have the other upstairs lights working if possible. I was just going to leave the power off but if it will be ok I'll turn it back on.

Last edited:
Ideally you want to pull the cables back up into the loft and do a junction box and just drop a single cable down for the new light...

take an experienced sparks 30-35 minutes and about cost about 5 squid on a wago box and some wagos

55-60£ tops

Thanks for the replies and I'll look to be getting it sorted like suggested, in the meantime though is it acceptable to hook it up like I asked using the existing block and connecting the N and L wires from the new light into the N and L in the existing block? This is how the light I just took down was wired in and was fine.

Reply to Wiring lights, help heeded please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net