James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I have verbally agreed with a customer to do some work for them at one of there customers factory’s.

The site is in south Norway starting in October for 2 weeks

Travel by plane I think is just a risk you have to take

Normally I charge for working hours only if travel, acomodation and food are provided.
However, I think I should be getting an agreement signed to include the following.

If I get quarantined for a fortnight on arrival in Norway how much should I be charging to sit in a hotel until free to leave?
Same issue if I have to isolate on return to uk,
If I am unfortunate it could take 6weeks out of the schedule to do 2weeks work abroad
P.s. I am self employed so therefore can take it or turn it down.
Also I can arrange whatever terms I need to keep it fair to myself.

Thoughts and advice please guys and girls!

Do you need a Work Visa to work in Norway?
And are there any restrictions on not working if not registered / suitably qualified?

Who would normally have done their work and why are they not doing it this time?

I think you are already being overly generous mate by not charging traveling etc, I think to at least get a worst case agreement again covering at least the working hours lost on any weeks quarantine is more than reasonable especially as you’ll incur extra costs if you have to quarantine in Norway....

Here's the Answer to one on my questions;

Yes, you can travel to Norway to work if the work is imminent.

You need to have one of the following:
  • a work contract with a Norwegian employer (when you travel, make sure to bring your work contract), or
  • a work contract with a company in another EU/EEA country that has given you an assignment in Norway (when you travel, make sure to bring your work contract and a confirmation from the company in Norway which shows that the company you are employed by is going to carry out an assignment for them), or
  • have your own company in another EU/EEA country and have an assignment in Norway (when you travel, make sure to bring documentation of your company and a confirmation/work contract from the customer or company you are going to do an assignment for)
  • be an independent entrepreneur who has established or is going to establish a business activity in Norway. You can show this for example with a description of the business and your planned role in the business, as well as a budget if you have.

I am working for a uk based machine manufacturer, doing upgrades on machines supplied to there customer out there so I am not taking a locals job etc.

I am working for a uk based machine manufacturer, doing upgrades on machines supplied to there customer out there so I am not taking a locals job etc.

I've worked in Norway quite a lot and its horrendously expensive. An average burger meal in a pub is NOK300 - 500 (£30 - 50) a pint is £10-15. The cheapest hotels are generally London sort of prices but I've paid £300 for a similar hotel to a travelogue.

Norway arent full members of the EU, have you checked if your European health insurance card is valid there? Does BREXIT have any impact on this? What if the job slipos a few weeks and ends up in 2021. I work with a guy who contracted Covid in the US, he ended up in hospital for 3 weeks, his travel insurance (like all will now I guess) excluded pandemics. He's getting chased for a £40k bill (which the company will pick up hopefully if it comes to it).

Have you looked at tax arrangements with Norway? Again not being full EU members they sometimes want a cut of any earnings when you're over there.

Norway in October is starting to get chilly, although I still braved it out in my shorts last year! Lots of things to this.....

1. Get it written into a contract that -
a) all your expenses are covered for travel, there AND BACK;
b) your employer is responsible for the administration of any local tax issues
(you'll both need to check what the current situation is with A1's and brexshiit)
c) an agreed fixed price per week in addition to the above should you be quarantined either there, here or elsewhere in transit (see below).
d) an agreed per diem (daily allowance) for subsistence

2. Make sure that you have independent, private health travel insurance that covers you for all risks ON WORK and it covers pandemics. You almost certainly won't get cover for cancelled travel or curtailment but you should still get medical without too many issues.

3. With rates, often a way to soothe the beast is to offer 'travel' and 'off' days at a reduced rate such as 50%, but only you know how valuable your time is and if that's an undertaking that is worth it.

4. Develop a liking for pickled fish for breakfast.

Norway in October is starting to get chilly, although I still braved it out in my shorts last year! Lots of things to this.....

1. Get it written into a contract that -
a) all your expenses are covered for travel, there AND BACK;
b) your employer is responsible for the administration of any local tax issues
(you'll both need to check what the current situation is with A1's and brexshiit)
c) an agreed fixed price per week in addition to the above should you be quarantined either there, here or elsewhere in transit (see below).
d) an agreed per diem (daily allowance) for subsistence

2. Make sure that you have independent, private health travel insurance that covers you for all risks ON WORK and it covers pandemics. You almost certainly won't get cover for cancelled travel or curtailment but you should still get medical without too many issues.

3. With rates, often a way to soothe the beast is to offer 'travel' and 'off' days at a reduced rate such as 50%, but only you know how valuable your time is and if that's an undertaking that is worth it.

4. Develop a liking for pickled fish for breakfast.
I could cope with all that... except pickled fish..... YUK.

Reply to Working away in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net