Discuss Would you extend this RFC? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This is my first post so please be gentle!
I've been asked to extend an RFC into an extension at the back of an 8 year old property.
It is a TN-C-S supply with 2 RFC's, one for the Kitchen and one for the rest of the house.
I've done some testing on the main house RFC as follows:
r1=0.84
rn=0.84
r2=1.53
R1+R2 = 0.59
Zs= 0.78
All figures are pretty close to their theoretical values so happy so far.
My issue is when calculate the length of cable I come out with 0.84/0.00741 = 113 metres

According to table 7.1(i) in the onsite guide the maximum length of cable for a standard circuit of 2.5/1.5 protected by type B MCB is 106 metres so this circuit is already outside of the limit.

I have the current volt drop calculation as Vd = L x Ib x (mV/A/M)/ 4 x 1000.
So VD = 113 x 32 x 18 /4000 = 16v
5% of 230V = 11.5, so its already over the allowable 5%

This is very disappointing as this is a relatively new build and there are spares in the board. I am surprised that the designer did not install two separate RFC's, one for up and one for down.

The extension is relatively small, 4m x 4m so extending the ring will add a maximum of 16 metres which would cost the customer very little.

The alternative is a new radial circuit from the CU at the front of the property and on the opposite side of the house which means all floor boards up and a very costly job.
There are no fixed loads on the ring and just the usual T.V's, games consoles lamps etc so loading is not an issue and I cant see volt drop being a problem and Zs is good.

What would you do? I think I've answered my own question with my calculations!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Is your cable length the measurement of the RFC in total?
If so, you can half that....2 x 2.5's to farthest point on ring.
It seems like it's probably OK to me, too.

This is my first post so please be gentle!
I've been asked to extend an RFC into an extension at the back of an 8 year old property.
It is a TN-C-S supply with 2 RFC's, one for the Kitchen and one for the rest of the house.
I've done some testing on the main house RFC as follows:
r1=0.84
rn=0.84
r2=1.53
R1+R2 = 0.59
Zs= 0.78
All figures are pretty close to their theoretical values so happy so far.
My issue is when calculate the length of cable I come out with 0.84/0.00741 = 113 metres

According to table 7.1(i) in the onsite guide the maximum length of cable for a standard circuit of 2.5/1.5 protected by type B MCB is 106 metres so this circuit is already outside of the limit.

This is very disappointing as this is a relatively new build and there are spares in the board. I am surprised that the designer did not install two separate RFC's, one for up and one for down.

The extension is relatively small, 4m x 4m so extending the ring will add a maximum of 16 metres which would cost the customer very little.

The alternative is a new radial circuit from the CU at the front of the property and on the opposite side of the house which means all floor boards up and a very costly job.
There are no fixed loads on the ring and just the usual T.V's, games consoles lamps etc so loading is not an issue and I cant see volt drop being a problem and Zs is good.

What would you do? I think I've answered my own question with my calculations!

Thanks for your help.
I’m impressed with your calculations good job

The regs say that as long as a limit of 100m^2 is not reached, the number of sockets On ring is unlimited.
The main thing would be to maintain the ring in full.
100^2m is a fair size but might be worth checking the total area including the proposed extra space. Apart from that, as long as you are getting good readings, it should be fine

Also, when calculating your length, it’s a ring so the maximum length would actually be half your figure (the mid point) which is why the preferred method is to use the area rather than the length...

The regs say that as long as a limit of 100m^2 is not reached, the number of sockets On ring is unlimited.
100^2m is a fair size but might be worth checking the total area including the proposed extra space. Apart from that, as long as you are getting good readings, it should be fine
100m^2 is noted as a historical requirement, i.e. it is no longer a requirement. It hasn't been a Regulation since the 16th Edition was withdrawn.

100m^2 is noted as a historical requirement, i.e. it is no longer a requirement. It hasn't been a Regulation since the 16th Edition was withdrawn.
It’s in the 18th edition under Appendix 15 - this gives the guidelines and still mentions the “historical limit of 100m^2.
I guess the main points here, taking in regulation 433.1.204 as well is that as long as there are no immersion heaters,
Or other heavy current-carrying accessories over 2kw on the ring, it should be fine as most accessories would only use a fraction of the cables Iz

My point was precisely that it's noted as a historic requirement. Historic means that it isn't now a requirement - just that it used to be one.

The historical limit or guidance is maximum floor area, is it not :)
Would the new extension this to be exceeded?

I'd be more concerned over the design of one RFC for the rest of the house and inconvenience etc, in the event of a fault. Whats the extension for?

The historical limit or guidance is maximum floor area, is it not :)
Would the new extension this to be exceeded?

I'd be more concerned over the design of one RFC for the rest of the house and inconvenience etc, in the event of a fault. Whats the extension for?
WD, if this issue is really causing you concern, might you consider wiring the extension sockets as a Radial? you mentioned this as une of the options open to you, personally I would opt for this option, but that's just my thought, good luck at whatever option you decide to take.

Is your cable length the measurement of the RFC in total?
If so, you can half that....2 x 2.5's to farthest point on ring.
It seems like it's probably OK to me, too.

The cable length calculation I used was

Vd = L x Ib x (mV/A/M)/ 4 x 1000.

I’ve already divided the end to end value by 4. This is how I was taught to calculate volt drop at the mid point on a RFC.

Does this look correct to you?

The floor area including the extension will be just below 100m2.
It’s going to be used as a play room.
The customer wanted an oil radiator installed but that will not be possible off the existing ring so a new radial may be the only option.

It’s very frustrating for a new build by one of the countries leading developers!

The customer wanted an oil radiator installed but that will not be possible off the existing ring so a new radial may be the only option.

It’s very frustrating for a new build by one of the countries leading developers!

What flooring will you have to remove?

Most builders aren't interested in future proofing WD, bash it in quickest way, unless of course, anything off piste is discussed in the planning stages, yeah go for the Radial.

What flooring will you have to remove?

It’s the large sheets of tongue and grove chipboard. I’ll have to cut a channel out across the whole width of the house which spans two bedrooms to be able to drill the joists. They are kids bedrooms too packed full of stuff.
I am considering running it in 4mm SWA around the perimeter of the house as there is a gravel soak away so no digging required.
More expensive material but much less hassle.

It’s the large sheets of tongue and grove chipboard. I’ll have to cut a channel out across the whole width of the house which spans two bedrooms to be able to drill the joists. They are kids bedrooms too packed full of stuff.
I am considering running it in 4mm SWA around the perimeter of the house as there is a gravel soak away so no digging required.

Then you’d cause more damage to the structural floor, than an inconvenience to continuity of service.

If the figures hold out, I’d alter the RFC. Would the final Zs be ok, if you did so?

Not an ideal method, is surface wiring a no no? PVC trunking.

The max length for RFCs of 106m uses a design current of 26A (there's a table earlier in the chapter in the OSG that should state this), distributed evenly around the ring. I presume multiple calculations were used to arrive at the 106m figure.

I'd extend the ring personally as long as the Zs is going to be within limits.
The onsite guide with its pictures and tables is just a guide, not a requirement. The point of the
The volt drop won't be a problem as the actual load is going to be less than the 32A you've used to calculate it.

Reply to Would you extend this RFC? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock