Search the forum,

Discuss 12v DC to240v AC to 110v AC in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ian murray

I am wanting to run a usa knife sharpener 110volts AC in an Australian car. Is there a problem using an inverter 12v DC to 240 vAC and then a transformer from 240 to 110 AC? I am advised the sharpener needs a min of 120W and the inverter I have supplies 200W

Should work... Make sure that if it's an autotransformer you use, that the common tapping is connected to the neutral side (which should be connected to car chassis by the inverter)
Otherwise instead of having 110 and 0 volts relative to car chassis, you will have 240 and 130 volts.
You will still get 110 volts to run the sharpener - it's just not as safe as you may think!

Oh and if it's an AC motor in the sharpener, the motor will run at 83% of normal speed, as the inverter will be 50Hz, the sharpener will be designed to run on 60Hz.

It's likely cheaper to get a 110V 60Hz inverter....good old ebay etc...

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no... Yank stuff runs at 60Hz while European and Aussie stuff runs at 50Hz. It shouldn't however cause that much of a problem in your case. The biggest problem, is the cost of the inverter and transformer is probably far more than the knife sharpener!! Far better to buy a knife sharper in what ever country your resident in!!

Reply to 12v DC to240v AC to 110v AC in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I used 12v dc from a 13 plate car battery to power a 12v dianamo dc motor and brought in an alternator to change the battery using the rotation of...
Replies
Views
Hello right off the bat I'm a novice with a little better understanding than most(father was a electrician) but I am not an electrician. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi - On our small vessel we have a 12v failry powerful motor to run the autopilot, where the power is supplied by the boat's battery bank. On an...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am fitting a Telecom 8 Compact burglar alarm system to a boat. The boat has both nominal 12v DC supply (ie up to 14.2 v when engine...
Replies
Views
Hope this is the correct forum for this. I have a chandelier that holds 18 bulbs, it's not in use since ages ago and I was planning to restore...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock