Discuss 12v Relay in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks lol. I'll probably give it a try tomorrow and see what happens, I'll put my ear defenders on this time as last time I took the cover off i was shut in the cupboard with it going off full whack!

My my idea is for the new house I'm moving in to next week, I'm starting a fresh with the security as there's none. Im going to be putting down lights all round the soffits and 100w led floods at the back so although on separate switches etc, I'll be able to have all security lighting come on in one shot should the alarm go off. Just means my HD CCTV will have a. Better chance of seing what's going on.

One comment, be sure to keep the wiring for the selv (12V) coil at least 6mm (1/4) inch away from the mains wiring, or sleeve one or both of them. You need this distance to ensure the SELV stays as SELV, due to creepage and clearance issues. I know some may argue that a smaller gap is required but I am trying to keep it simple.

This is why the relays mounted on alarm circuit boards cannot be used for mains voltage, as my previous post, using external boxed relay....6mm or a physical barrier ensure clearance. The relay or contactor also offers clearance, aslong as low voltage and extra low voltage cables enter enclosure at separate points.

Don't forget you diode connected across the coil to stop the back emf. Reverse polarity connected.

Or you could go for one of the handy little relays.

Just google handy little relay.

Look at the picture he's posted, the diode is already built in to the relay he has bought!

Looks to me like an LED in series with a resistor to indicate supply to coil. It'll be the wrong way round for catching the back emf. If required, it'll need one direct across the coil facing in the other direction, ie not conducting with the coil energised with +ve on pin 2.

Ok, I'll confess I didn't actually look back at the picture. I just assumed based on the number of IMO relays and contactors I have used in the past which have it fitted already.

Personally, I prefer not to use octal or 11-pin relays as interface relays as the creepage distances can be a bit marginal for electrical separation. But I'm fussy with things like that.

Looks to me like an LED
Which is visible in the pic. Provide your own catch diode.

Just one quick question, Im only going to be wanting to pull the line on not the neutral, so this is presumably just achieved by connecting the line on its own between pins 3 NO and 6 NO?

I'm normally quite a patient person, but I feel this thread is still going to be running next year. Daz

I don't know about anyone else here but I learned to read a basic wiring diagram and how a relay works before I got to secondary school.
And I'm only 28 now so it wasn't that long ago!

FFS it's a 2-pole relay, each pole has com, NO & NC contacts just like a 2-way light switch. Davesparks spelled this out in post #19. Choose a pole, any pole*, and use the NO and com of that pole.

but I learned ... how a relay works before I got to secondary school.
I cannot remember a time in my life when I didn't know how a relay worked. I still have My First Relay that I made when I was about 7, SPNO and a very low resistance coil to work on a 1.5V battery, it would actually pull in on just under a volt. Dad reckoned it wouldn't have enough amp-turns to be reliable - he was right, but its limited performance taught me about contact setting, hysteresis, residual gaps etc. By the time I'd moved up to Junior School that was all old hat and I was buying relays and cradles from my favourite surplus shop in the Edgware road.

*not one with overhead cables or dancers on, North, South or one from Poland.

Reply to 12v Relay in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net