Discuss 2 core 55 amp stranded wire HELP in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chico

I'm after some 10AWG 2 core and cannot find any anywhere, any ideas?

I'm no electrician but as I see it that is around 50-55 amp wire.

Chico

how long cable do you need, whats the installation method, what is the voltage and what purpose is it serving, if you give this info was can suggest an alternative or guide you the right way.
Awg is an american/ canada wire measurement system and is applied to single core cables the lower the number the bigger the core. It may be stamped on a multi-core cable as a ref' to the size of each core, without knowing its intended use its not possible to suggest a cable as depending on the use may effect the cable needed and the size required even for the same loading requirements.

Last edited:
It is for extending the leads on a Minn Kota electric motor.So will be in a boat. I need 2 lengths of around 5 metres (2 different set ups).

Connects to a battery at one end of the boat and to a quick connection to the motor.

Sorry 12V system.
and installation method length of run load type these are all critical when picking cable, also ambient temperature grouping factor with regards to running with other cables, they may not all apply but the questions need asking, as a 50m run is going to need a larger cable than 2m run and volts drops is an issue more so as your running 12v.

sorry just seen your previous post explaining some of this.

Last edited:
One set will be 5 m one set closer to 3.5 m. The battery is fuse protected. Temps will be from -5 c to 30 c (depends on the weather)

No Other cables will be anywhere near.

Think you need to be looking down the line of 'jump leads' used for cars , lorries etc you may find what you need.
If not you may be able to ring electrical wholesalers and ask for some HO7RN-F 10mm 2core at a guess but check its rating with them, this is for harsh environment including equatic environments oils and grease resistant etc.

Last edited:
The connectors that are built for the motor are to fit 10 AWG so as all the Americans using the system use 10 AWG that will do me, they are running lengths of up to 7 metres no problems.

Jump lead cable, hell my jump leads are almost 5/8" core.

Still require somewhere that sells 2 core or even single core 10 AWG cable.

The connectors that are built for the motor are to fit 10 AWG so as all the Americans using the system use 10 AWG that will do me, they are running lengths of up to 7 metres no problems.

Jump lead cable, hell my jump leads are almost 5/8" core.

Still require somewhere that sells 2 core or even single core 10 AWG cable.
you might get away with 6mm HO7RN-F but i dont have the rating on this but its about same size as 10awg

Single core 10awg or equivalent you could try RS Components or Scattergoods and johnsons, this is from a UK suggestion as you dont say where your based.

Call me a noddy but I just googled that and it came up with 5 core, I need 2 cores each of which is 10 AWG.

Have we got our wires crossed?

May i ask where 'area' you live in, as many companies use mm when gauging cable and this might be where your search lets you down, you keep ref' awg which as mentioned before is American/Canada origin and unless the cable comes from there or is made for that market then you dont usually find it sized with awg codes.

Right, just to clarify, I am UK based, the Lincoln area to be exact. The reason I want 10 AWG is because that is what the motors use and I want to use a use a quick connect link that is built to take those wires. If I use a differing sized cable the quick connects can't be used which kind of defeats the object.

As for the google search, I just copied and pasted the number and it showed 5 core. I should re-iterate I am no electrician and numbers are wasted on me.

There must be a supplier somewhere here for 10AGW or it's metric equiv. surely?

The cable you require for your circumstances isnt standard off the shelf, the links that myself and mark have given you are just a guide to head you in the right direction and you need to talk to a local cable supplier and state you needs and that its for a motor in a marine environment etc, a tri-rated cable is what you will need and this usually has a comparison of 6mm to 10awg but that needs to be confirmed when you source it that it can handle the same current as different types of cable from different manufacturers may vary, although matching this cable exactly may be problematic we cant help you any more than we already have and just to remind you that choosing an incorrect cable or wiring it wrong may result in damage to the equipment or a fire risk so pls take care.
And as you have mentioned the numbers are confusing you and you not an electrician so after our very helpfull advice if you still feel confused by the links weve posted then maybe you shouldnt be doing this yourself.

Last edited:
It does look as though I'll have to buy 2 x single cables and heat shrink them together, thank you for the link Mark. Twin would have been sweeter but beggar's can't be choosers.

The equipment is well fused and if there were to be a fire there is plenty of water around!

Fantastic, reckon you have made my dreams come true!

Thank you for helping a "noddy" out.

Just have to contact them now and try and get some.

Reply to 2 core 55 amp stranded wire HELP in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net