Discuss 2 way switch induced voltage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hellmooth

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Got a 2 way switch that gives 43 volts down one strapper when off, could this be an induced voltage, and if so why isn't it on the other strapper when it is off?

Also voltage at light switch is 250-252v, the light switch was faulty under load so couldn't be switched, when powered down it switches fine, it is rated to 250v, could this cause an issue?

Got a 2 way switch that gives 43 volts down one strapper when off, could this be an induced voltage, and if so why isn't it on the other strapper when it is off?

Also voltage at light switch is 250-252v, the light switch was faulty under load so couldn't be switched, when powered down it switches fine, it is rated to 250v, could this cause an issue?

Hi

Yes sounds likely, probably not on other cable due to seperation distance.

Dont see an issue with voltage.

Cheers

Yeah did think it would be.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue, any ideas why it wouldn't work under load but ok when switched off?

When you say OK when switched off, you mean has continuity?

If so the contacts are so badly burnt they'll allow continuity with the very low current from a meter but break down under any load.

When you say it shouldn't be a problem it still should be sorted out your aware of it so rectify it. It will be come a problem for someone the next time it's tested cos your meter won't allow you to do dead testing as it will detect a voltage, I've had this once before when trying to do an insulation resistance test my meter wouldn't give me a reading a warning light comes until you detect the induced voltage.

I didn't check for continuity, I mean the switch wouldn't move ie was stuck solid with a load on it, when switched off it worked fine.

And Farm I didn't say the induced voltage wasn't a problem, I was replying to Geoff when he said the voltage of 250v wasn't a problem............

Yes an mft won't allow dead test when it detects any voltage.

It's far more likely to be a capacitively coupled voltage rather than induced.
But it's largely irrelevant as it I'll be easily identified either way if you are using the correct test equipment and understand how to interpret the results it gives you.

It is possible that if the switch is failing then there may be putting a high resistance connection in series with the load, acting as a potential divider
, thus presenting 43V at the switch terminal. But again using the appropriate test instrument and understanding the readings given by it will clear the matter up.

A phantom voltage such as this will not interfere with your dead testing due to the fact the circuit will be dead! Theoretically it could be an issue where multiple circuits are in close proximity and some remain energised, but I've yet to come across this being a problem for an MFT.

The faulty light switch is not related to the 'induced' voltage I must add!

Thanks for the input anyway Davesparks always appreciated, I will look into it further when I can be arsed..........

The reason I noticed it was because the LED bulb I was using was slightly dimmed when off lol

250V is not high, it is correct. All UK substations are set to output 433/250V, regardless of the nominal voltage fairy stories you read about.

And yeah yeah that is the case, I was just putting the high voltage in with the rating of the switch being 250v, thought it may have caused a problem due to a poor switch, was just putting it out there.

The faulty light switch is not related to the 'induced' voltage I must add!

Thanks for the input anyway Davesparks always appreciated, I will look into it further when I can be arsed..........

The reason I noticed it was because the LED bulb I was using was slightly dimmed when off lol

That suggests to me that the switch was goosed and causing a high resistance to be in series with the lamp when switched off. Capacitive coupling normally manifests as flashing low energy lamps rather than permanent dim illumination.

Reply to 2 way switch induced voltage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net