Discuss 2356 courses and how to become a domestic electrican! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

olliec

Hi all I'm ollie, just joined for some friendly advice on how to become (or train to) a domestic electrican.

Basically I'm 25 and a live-in care worker, have been for about 5 year. Now I'm settling down with the Mrs, my jobs become a bit of a problem, and I would prefer to go back to something abit more hands on.

A good friend of mine has been a spark for about 14 years and has recommended it as a good career choice, he also reckons I should be ok with the job as I do most electrical stuff on my own car and am a fairly competent person.

He said basically that the city and guilds 2356 and nvq 2 and 3 from places like tradeskills4u and other outfits is fairly complete and has all the basics covered. Now I understand that these 2-3 month courses can't make you an electrician in that time. But what I want to hear is from people that have done the, and what they did after?

I understand an apprenticeship is considered the best, but I psychically cannot afford to life and pay my rent/bills on the money that most places seem to be offering apprentices. I've saved up enough money to help able to pay for a course and tide my myself over for the duration. But I want to know what options I'll have once I've completed the nvq2 and am working towards the nvq3?

when you have done the 2365 level 2 and/or 3 your looking for a sparks mate job.

Look at the NVQ level 3 for what you have to show, site evidence.

Sit Am2.

Electrical Improver

What kind of wages do you spark's mates get? Is it hard to find a position at the moment or are there plenty to go around?

Also is it a case of just finding somewhere that's happy to take on someone without any actual practical experience?

Finally how long does it normally take to complete your nvq 3 once in employment?

There is no such thing as a ''Domestic Electrician'', you train to become an ''Electrician''. There is no way on this earth you can become a qualified electrician (2365 level 2/3) in 2 or 3 months, and certainly not with a NVQ3, which is an additional 12 to 18 months on it's own, unless your are completing your log book while you are training with an employer.

If you can't or not prepared to put the required time and effort into training/becoming a qualified electrician then best look around for something else as a career change. Maybe look into becoming an auto electrician, though i have no idea what's required qualification wise, in becoming a qualified Auto Electrician...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm prepared to take a big cut in earnings, and do the work necessary. What I want to know is, if I did these courses would that be enough to get. A job as a spark's mate?

Apprenticeships are all well and good, but I can't psychically do one, because £90 odd quid a week would literally put me out on the streets.

I'm prepared to take a big cut in earnings, and do the work necessary. What I want to know is, if I did these courses would that be enough to get. A job as a spark's mate?

Apprenticeships are all well and good, but I can't psychically do one, because £90 odd quid a week would literally put me out on the streets.
NVQ2 Electrical is not a recognised qual in England and was only retained in Wales as part of the apprenticeship framework over there. Even that may have changed now. Electricians mates jobs are out there, they pay better than an apprenticeship but you will not be mentored like an apprentice would but then again you are not 16. If you are practically minded and of reasonable intelligence (I am not implying you are not) then you should be fine doing the Electricians Mate route. Do 2365 L2 & L3 courses first whilst still doing current job. Once you have that, apply to agencies for "Electricians Mate" jobs. Once you are working within industry (even as subcontractor) then register on the 2357 (NVQ3). It won't be easy and you will get fed up sometimes but it is a rewarding job in the end. That is about the most practical way for you to qualify.

Reply to 2356 courses and how to become a domestic electrican! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net