Discuss 2391 and 17th edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im looking for a bit of advice on the current 2391 and 17th edition.
ive not done any major electrical works for 3 years, I've spoke to niceic regarding my current situation.
im nvq level 3 electrotechnical qualified, basically need to finish my nvq and am2.
Ive got 1000s of jobs waiting for me off my brother and my cousin, they have huge contracts on the new buildings,extensions,conservatorys etc etc.
Theyre all domestic works, niceic say I only have to sit my 17th and my 2391 to become a domestic installer and to sign off any new installation or added installations and to test and inspect compotently.
im thinking of sitting my 2391 and 17th at Stockton within the next few months once I get my head into the gn3,onsg and the 17th green book.
im not competent with a tester and I can't really remember the allowed values of testing and inspection, I've never really done much testing whilst being an apprentice and mainly the installer and CU fitter, and the gaffer done the inspection and tests.
what would you recommend before I decided to book up as I've not done much work lately and need to get up to speed with the inspection and testing?
Is there any guys local to Durham, Newcastle or the surrounding areas that I could spend a couple of weekends with testing and inspecting? Or any advice would be good!!!
cheers AnthAnth

Hi guys,
Im looking for a bit of advice on the current 2391 and 17th edition.
ive not done any major electrical works for 3 years, I've spoke to niceic regarding my current situation.
im nvq level 3 electrotechnical qualified, basically need to finish my nvq and am2.
Ive got 1000s of jobs waiting for me off my brother and my cousin, they have huge contracts on the new buildings,extensions,conservatorys etc etc.
Theyre all domestic works, niceic say I only have to sit my 17th and my 2391 to become a domestic installer and to sign off any new installation or added installations and to test and inspect compotently.
im thinking of sitting my 2391 and 17th at Stockton within the next few months once I get my head into the gn3,onsg and the 17th green book.
im not competent with a tester and I can't really remember the allowed values of testing and inspection, I've never really done much testing whilst being an apprentice and mainly the installer and CU fitter, and the gaffer done the inspection and tests.
what would you recommend before I decided to book up as I've not done much work lately and need to get up to speed with the inspection and testing?
Is there any guys local to Durham, Newcastle or the surrounding areas that I could spend a couple of weekends with testing and inspecting? Or any advice would be good!!!
cheers AnthAnth
lol....

you mean as competent as your spelling?....lol..

and sinse when is a scam domestic installer competent to do owt?

in fact what is a "domestic installer" anyway?

Last edited:
lol....

you mean as competent as your spelling?....lol..

and sinse when is a scam domestic installer competent to do owt?

in fact what is a "domestic installer" anyway?
Lol excuse the spelling !!!! I'm not sure what I need to do though ive been thrown from pillow to post regarding the situation.
niceic say you I need a minimum of 17th edition to complete "domestic installations" and to sign off to the current regulations "competently".
im trying to find out what I need to do in order to get more experience to go and finish my nvq and am2

- - - Updated - - -

You'll also need a time machine to sit 2391!
I am aware of this but most colleges run the 2392 with better success rates.

Sorry that was it 2394/2395 I was going to sit this at new college Durham, but no sic said I just have to do my 17th edition to do domestic installations
so why just do the 17th edition because thats all the scams require?...what happened to making efforts?

why does everything have to come down to the lowest common denominator?

I'm not trying to get it easy in anyway shape or form... I've done a full apprenticeship but not yet finished my am2 or sat my 17th.. I'm trying to go self employed as a "domestic installer" working on domestic dwellings only... As most of the work I have waiting is domestic. Basically trying to gain recognised self employment without having to finish my nvq or am2 right now as I can't gain employment therefore can't gain evidence for my nvq? I'm simply asking is it worth getting niceic registered as they're telling me all I need is my 17th edition to become self employed and to sign off my work.

so why just do the 17th edition because thats all the scams require?...what happened to making efforts?

why does everything have to come down to the lowest common denominator?
i am not aware that these are "scams..... I understand the annoyance that electricians bare with on a daily basis with the scamming company's and useless training centres.
im trying to do what is best for my career and looking for general advice on where to turn next. I've enrolled with Jtl to finish my nvq and am2.
im also making huge efforts trying to gain evidence aswell as working a 3 shift pattern full time job which is a pain in the arse. I just want to get qualified and do what I love

cheers lads much appreciated. so what is the qualificatio to work as an electrician is it the nvq3 then am2? or can i get a full recognition as a qualified sparky without the am2 as i know a few guys are sparkys without it

I have the nvq3 and it includes the am2. You will need 17th edition to sign up with a scheme, you will need the 2394/2395 also or when you have your inspection it will class as a 'non-conformity' although there maybe a tiny bit or wriggle room that if you show competence in testing on the inspection you get a couple weeks to book the 2394/2395 and send them proof

If you qualified to 17th edition regs you don't have to complete the 17th edition. I didn't know this until it said it on my gold card and I hadn't taken the course. To gain the NVQ 3 you need to pass the AM2. JIB require NVQ3 to award the gold card.,

Hi anth ewart
Have you finished the 2330 level 3 or equivalent yet?
I qualified a couple of years back doing the 2330,nvq3 am2, 2391 and in total it took me about 5 years to complete.
In total i have been a sparks for 7 years and im still learning every day and asking for advice from the more experienced guys on this forum. If i were you and had not done any electrical work for 3 years then i would consider going with a more experienced sparky for a bit to gain some knowledge rather than just thinking about the quickest route to getting qualified.
Also you say you hardly done any testing and to be honest this is a big part of the puzzle in our game and is paramount if you wont to sign off your own work and fault find etc.
As you can probably tell the top bods in the know on this site have done it the hard way threw a apprenticeship starting from the bottom of the pile.

Reply to 2391 and 17th edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net