Discuss 3 phase electric motor on road tanker in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

slimfastshady

Hi i drive a road tanker with a 3 phase motor turning a pump to delivery liquid food product.Does this have to be pat tested or is there any regulations this should be covered by as its only touched when there is problem any advice would be great!

One question, what are you delivering?

I’ve worked on many plants that had incoming delivery systems like you mention.
Our responsibility extended to the safety of the supply and supplementary earthing, its safe usage was the driver’s and haulier’s responsibility.
If the driver had problems we were forbidden to help (not that it stopped us in the middle of the night). All we would do is give access to a phone to allow the driver to get help.
I’ve even had my backside kicked for shutting the plant down because the nitrogen tanker had a delivery problem and I said I couldn’t help! The fact stocks had been allowed to run so low as to endanger the plant was soon covered up.

I know it doesn’t help you but there’s always two sides to a fence.

I suppose technically the pump is portable, although I doubt it is something that would normally be considered as coming within the remit of Portable Applince Testing?

deliver liquid fat and oils to bakeries, the site electricians are not suppose to help if we have problems but they generally do.I just wonder if the haulier or tanker owner should be having it checked regulary as a pc or a kettle has to be pat tested in the office are there any regulations then?

Not sure about PAT testing as such, but i'm sure that there should be some kind of regular testing to such equipment.

Now if you are delivering food stuffs, surely that in itself would call for a regular maintenance schedule. And if your working for company producing these food products, then i would have assumed that it's delivery fleet of tankers would come under the factories PPM schedules!! .....Or have those days also come and gone??

the company only runs two tankers,the maintence is contracted out for servicing and mots to keep it road worthy nothing in place to check the electrical componets, the power lead,plugs motor and pumps are fixed if they break normally the plug needs rewiring as its stowed on the outside off the vehicle behind the road wheels open to the elements perhaps i should regulary defect this or fill in health and safety reports then.sorry to be nieve but whats does ppm stand for (im a truck driver)

Reefers are sort of the same they have own engins for on the road power and 415 ockets for lying idle the Morrison ones were tested on a rig in their workshop as part of PPM your may be the same

perhaps i should regulary defect this or fill in health and safety reports then.sorry to be nieve but whats does ppm stand for (im a truck driver)

Don’t apologise, I’ll bet most of us would be lost in you cab.
I think you’ve answered your own question, keep reporting defects.

One dodgy area is when a plant electrician has helped you out, it puts both of you in a tricky situation if it gets reported back, an even worse situation if something goes wrong.
This I know from bitter experience, a driver came to the workshop and asked if I could replace a damaged 415V plug “OK no problem”. No problem until our petty minded manager found out, he tried to claim the cost back from the haulier. Unbeknown to him on the next delivery the driver came in the shop and handed me a better quality replacement (and a tenner) from his company.

Thanks for all your help,there is no ppm its more wait untill it breaks then its "come back and we will sort it" annoying when in scotland then have to drive a day to sort it then go back.
I know from experience too some plant electricians will take a look some wont depends how badly they need there delivery.
I suppose i do my own ppm by regulary checking the wires in the plug etc but thats as far a i'm willing to go

Reply to 3 phase electric motor on road tanker in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net