Discuss 3 phase motor dropping voltage with load. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 10 HP -230 volt 3 phase hydraulic press brake. I just installed a new 40 HP rotary converter panel with used WEG motor. The problem i am having is the volts going into the press during a load is dropping from 245 to 195-200 volt. Which means i'm loosing power of the hydraulic system. Wonder if anyone has a idea of what could be causing this. The required rotary converter is a 30HP and i went to a 40HP just to make sure.

I attacked pictures of the 40 HP used motor running my phase converter

Attachments

• 162183-weg-cc0294-040360t3e286ts-40hp-electric-motor-208-460v-3ph-286tc-frame-3535-rpm-2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 162183-weg-cc0294-040360t3e286ts-40hp-electric-motor-208-460v-3ph-286tc-frame-3535-rpm-3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
Agree with Pete, I would first check the supply to the converter, to see how much the voltage on the single-phase side is dropping. If that is reasonably steady, then check whether the voltage drop at the converter 3-phase output is symmetrical or not and perhaps report your findings to the panel manufacturers.

From what I can read on the plate the converter looks like a 12-wire motor. Is it definitely connected to the panel correctly, with the right voltage configuration? If the series-parallel arrangement of the windings is wrong, it might start and run OK but lack power as a converter once under load.

I have a 10 HP -230 volt 3 phase hydraulic press brake. I just installed a new 40 HP rotary converter panel with used WEG motor. The problem i am having is the volts going into the press during a load is dropping from 245 to 195-200 volt. Which means i'm loosing power of the hydraulic system. Wonder if anyone has a idea of what could be causing this. The required rotary converter is a 30HP and i went to a 40HP just to make sure.

Let me ask you a few questions when you changed from a 10 HP to a 40 HP did you up grade the starter size, the overloads, and the wiring. The starter should be size 4 and the wiring should # 8
Agree with Pete, I would first check the supply to the converter, to see how much the voltage on the single-phase side is dropping. If that is reasonably steady, then check whether the voltage drop at the converter 3-phase output is symmetrical or not and perhaps report your findings to the panel manufacturers.

From what I can read on the plate the converter looks like a 12-wire motor. Is it definitely connected to the panel correctly, with the right voltage configuration? If the series-parallel arrangement of the windings is wrong, it might start and run OK but lack power as a converter once under load.
I meant the starter size should be 3 not 4

Let me ask you a few questions when you changed from a 10 HP to a 40 HP did you up grade the starter size, the overloads, and the wiring. The starter should be size 4 and the wiring should # 8
Yes the starter has been upgraded. I bought a new starter panel from a rotary phase company. The wires run to everything has also been upgraded and is sized for 100 amp load. The motor is a 12 wire and i wired it to run 230 volt. It is a used motor.

this link is the 40HP panel i got to run everything. Very nice systems. I had a 20hp for years.

Also i didn't replace the 10hp on the press with a 40HP. The 40HP motor is what is running the 3 phase converter. Just wanted to make sure i said that correctly.

Hi you may have to check the following. loose wiring connections, defective circuit breakers, the contactor contacts may be pitted, mechanical defects.

Reply to 3 phase motor dropping voltage with load. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net