Discuss 3 phase starter switch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jules27

All ,

Was asked to have a look at a 3 phase switch (but it has 3+N and D2 and 14), but it aint looks like theres a 400v coil in it .Didnt have time to trace the wires out ..., Is this normal and can you tell me without seeing if I need it maybe i can just swapfor a 3 pole .....thanks

Yes mounted on the saw itself , Ive been trying without success to load an image which will explain a whole lot better but having no joy as yet

Yes mounted on the saw itself , Ive been trying without success to load an image which will explain a whole lot better but having no joy as yet

low res 001.jpg

Finally ! doh

looks like its a contactor that is energised when you turn the switch on and possibly holds its on position with the coil energised, if power fails i assume the switch will turn to off position automatically (just a guess though), if you struggle to follow the wiring diagam and what it tells you then i would question whether you should be involved with this in the first place. If you turn the machine on then trip the power at the supply i believe the unit will stop the machine starting up without warning when you reset the mcb etc.

Last edited:
so you say its a manually operated contactor ? hold in contacts to keep the phases in ? This is why I'm asking for Help as i was nt sure

If you want to replace it contact the machine builder for a replacement.
I have to agree with the previous post that if you don't understand what this is then I doubt that you would be deemed competent under EAWR to undertake these works.

so you say its a manually operated contactor ? hold in contacts to keep the phases in ? This is why I'm asking for Help as i was nt sure
The wiring diagram suggests that when the coil is energised it will stayed energised until A.. you physically switch off or B.. you have a power failure or issue with either phase 1 or 2 involved so like say in a power cut it would stop the machine starting up instantly when the power was resumed. I can honestly say i havent come across this device before and think you will have fun trying to replace it , there are a few ways around this problem but it entails weighing up the control system of the machine and just modernising it alternatively fit a lockable door catch and fit a all in one start/stop unit with isolation on the side of the control enclosure. If sounds head scratching then you shouldnt be doing this, machinery and controls have to be understood for the users safety if your repairing or making alterations. I can only guess that its the physical action of turning the handle on that initially pulls the contactor in but this info isnt given on the wiring diagram.

Last edited:
darkwood,
I see these all the time on CHEAP machines.
The OP would be best contacting the machine builder as it appears that he does not have the competence to undertake a machine modification to replace such a device with an alternative and continue to comply with statute law.
Sorry, but that is MHO.
This seems to be the case recently as work gets tight all the incompetents chase all the work they can.

Well this is why I'm here to seek advice , It can go back just as easily as i took it out it not a problem ....I understand the diagram i.e 400v coil , perhaps was really looking for some explanation as to what might be happening , which you have just told me .Initailly I thought I could just swap it like for like but that is not going to happen , so clearly more thought had to go into it .I am trying to learn .If I'm certain I'll proceed .

Er yeah , I am doing an apprenticeship , nothing to do with times being tight . It s actually for a freind , More like a favour .

Thanks for your time .

Reply to 3 phase starter switch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net