Discuss 3 x 2.5mm T&Es into one 13A socket. How do you do it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
I've always disliked needing to wrangle three 2.5mm T&Es into one 13A socket.

The three solid cores rarely sit cleanly, and there's always the suspicion that at least one core is not being held properly:

IMG_5741.JPG

Lately I've been doing this, using 5-way Wagos and bits of stranded 2.5mm single, fitted with ferrules, into the socket itself:

IMG_5742.JPG

Of course that's more joints. Perhaps unnecessary joints. But it appears to me a more secure and more maintenance-free method.

I don't believe there's any regulatory reason why it can't be done like this.

What do others do/think?

Seems like a lot of work for a problem that doesn't / shouldn't exist.

The only time I've had that issue is when refitting very cheap sockets where there isn't really enough space for the 3 wires or they have been cut too short and my fat paws won't fit.

It does mean less risk of things being disturbed when the socket is wraggled on to the back box. And the stranded singles will make things easier. As above though, quite a bit off faffing.

Be interesting to see what people think.

Aren't you technically taking two spurs from one point of the ring though?

IE you have ring in and out, plus the third to your spur - but then the socket its behind is also a spur - as the point of junction is now the wagos rather than the socket faceplate

The three solid cores rarely sit cleanly, and there's always the suspicion that at least one core is not being held properly:

View attachment 109255

Lately I've been doing this, using 5-way Wagos and bits of stranded 2.5mm single, fitted with ferrules, into the socket itself:

View attachment 109256

Of course that's more joints. Perhaps unnecessary joints. But it appears to me a more secure and more maintenance-free method.

What do others do/think?
Why not just use the

MK LOGIC RAPID FIX

Aren't you technically taking two spurs from one point of the ring though?

IE you have ring in and out, plus the third to your spur - but then the socket its behind is also a spur - as the point of junction is now the wagos rather than the socket faceplate
I agree, he's turned the existing socket into a spur.

Effectively picture #2 is what they do in America / Canada called PIG TAILING , they do it a lot over there using Wire Nuts to bind all the cores together in the back of the box and just take a single cable to the socket or as they call it the receptacle.
Most sockets will take 3 x 2.5 cores , except for the really cheap carp ones

never had an issue before... not with new, clean solid core. As you tighten the terminal screw, the cores will turn so the screw is gripping two cores, and the other is pressed into the back of the hole.
Never twist together.

stand by for other manufacturers following MK..... Still not used one yet, but i can see it being a time saver if fitting out an entire house.

View attachment 109255

View attachment 109256

What do others do/think?
Will you be going back to the jobs to correct them ?

I believe MK are about to start selling a level connection fused Spur and light witch range later this year

View attachment 109255

View attachment 109256

What do others do/think?
Ridiculous in my honest opinion

Will you be going back to the jobs to correct them ?
Why would he go back and correct them, yes its a technical breach of the regs but there's nothing dangerous in what he's done, its still the same number of sockets in the circuit its just that the joint is in the wago and not the socket, those wagos can withstand about 100 amps before they melt according to several video's I've watched on them. I would only ever go back to a job if I realised I'd done something dangerous.

Saying that, its well over the top, those wagos are about 20p each, a pack of ferules, cable ties, 3 coils of conduit cable, might as well not bother doing the job at all. I don't get why people end up with spurs on new wiring anyway, I work with someone who always manages to do this, there is always a socket somewhere that has 3 cables at it on one of his re-wires, it cant be that hard to go in a circle can it

Pig tailing / splicing / the cables in the back of the box like this using Wagos really isn't an issue as long at the linking single cable is 2.5 or bigger and the OCPD is 32amps or lower.
Wagos are pretty much bomb proof and would run 30amps all day long without so much as breaking a sweat

Reply to 3 x 2.5mm T&Es into one 13A socket. How do you do it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net