Discuss 30ma rcd tripping after replacing consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I guess that i've come a bit unstuck with the fault in the ch system being detected by the 30ma rcd. I'll get it sorted tomorrow.

Yeah process of elimination shouldn't take to long to sort. If your not to familiar with heating wiring when you take the cover off the wiring centre take a picture on your phone before you start proding about in there so if you disconnect something or something pops out you have a reference to look at.

Yes, re energised the circuit which i should have tested first. Have you ever energised a circuit without testing it?

This ain't no wind up, just felt like seeking a bit of advice before going back to work tomorrow.

I expect most Sparks have at sometime energised up a circuit before testing it, I expect it depends a bit on the size of the job. You're on a forum though Muzza where it's not really going to be something that many will admit to and also I believe the standard of work from forum members (and general interest in doing the job properly) may be higher than average.

I think I posted a thread back at the beginning of the forum about RCD tripping when I installed a new CU, I got a lot of stick (alot more than on this thread!), I ignored the bits that wern't helpful and I took on board the majority of the rest of the replies.

I can honestly say I will always do some basic testing of a CU prior to changing it now because that can save you a whole heap of trouble. If you quote for a CU change and then come across faults or Main bonding problems etc it would be unfair to expect the customer to pay, you could also get into a bit of a panic when it suddenly happens at 4pm when you're expecting to leave at 5!

Here are a couple of links that you may find useful:

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...ctrical-regulations/12971-cu-changes-you.html
View attachment CU check list.doc

Last edited:
That's exactly what I do, I will have also carried out certain dead tests prior to agreeing to the work so i know what I'm in for.

Yeah its the best way. Done a love job for a family member a few year ago and didn't carry out any pretesting. Changing the board testing each circuit as I go, come to the down stairs lighting and neutral is as flat as a fart to earth. Unscrewed all the ceiling roses...one cable in each fitting, unscrewed the switches...again one cable at the switches. Every lighting point had been JB'd before it was plaster boarded. It couldn't get much worse you would think...pulled the carpet back upstairs and its all tongue and groove boards . This was on a Saturday about 3 in the afternoon with no money in the job due to being close family. Since that day I've never changed a board without conducting some basic pre tests before hand.

I'll hold my hands up here and say I probably wouldn't have spotted this one until the circuit was renergised as I would have isolated the boiler before carrying out an IR test on the circuit. But I also would not have gone home without finding the fault as it doesn't take long to go through a boiler circuit and I don't want the liability of leaving a known fault in an installation.
Plus I have a very good working relationship with a local plumbing and heating company so can get pumps/valves/boiler internals fixed/replaced easily

Makes sense Dave.
Does anyone enjoy fault finding?

I love it Muzza, you get to become a bit of a detective and have to start a logical process of elimination. However, I would not enjoy if I was under pressure so I try and plan and make time for the fault finding.

I'll try and make it theraputic next time i'm testing!

I'll let you know how i got on.

That would be very interesting Muzza, you tend to get more help on this site if you become a bit more interactive.

I love it Muzza, you get to become a bit of a detective and have to start a logical process of elimination. However, I would not enjoy if I was under pressure so I try and plan and make time for the fault finding.

Me too, the satisfaction you get when you have tracked down that elusive neutral earth fault and you test the cable again and it's all good and then flick on the RCD and it holds. You think glass of wine when I get home to celebrate.

Then you go home really chuffed at fixing it and tell the Missus and go into massive detail about what the problem was and all she can say is "oh right"! Then the bubble is burst and your back to reality.:wink_smile:

haha, i know that feeling well!
Me too, the satisfaction you get when you have tracked down that elusive neutral earth fault and you test the cable again and it's all good and then flick on the RCD and it holds. You think glass of wine when I get home to celebrate.

Then you go home really chuffed at fixing it and tell the Missus and go into massive detail about what the problem was and all she can say is "oh right"! Then the bubble is burst and your back to reality.:wink_smile:

Reply to 30ma rcd tripping after replacing consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net