Discuss Absolute minimal certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In the past I have fully rewired my own 4-bedroom house, including the ring, radial, two-way/3core+earth, multi-socket, and RCB main control box. When I had it inspected/certified the sparky told me that I had done a better job than many qualified sparkies, so I guess I understand the basics and really want to get enough of a certificate to domestic only work . Now, aged 59, I am starting my own small-scale handyman business and have been asked to install a twin-socket spur indoors for an extension of up to 5 feet only. What minimum qualifications/certification do I need, or do I need any at all for domestic work such as spurs, single-to-double-socket conversions, etc. i.e. very simple work that many home-owners can do themselves anyway?

unless you are doing notifiable works under part pee. then as long as you are competent, crack on, but bear in mind all works , however small, need to be tested and where necessary, the appropriate installation certificate issued, so you'll need a MFT and some form of certificates to fill in, either buy duplicate books from wholesalers, or download for filling in on computer.

Simple jobs that are classed as minor works by part P only require you to be competent.
You do still need to ensure that you are fully aware of and comply with the regulations.

For example your 5 foot spur to a twin socket, you must ensure that the circuit you are spurring from is in good condition and correctly protected. If it is a ring you should ensure that the ring is complete and that the socket you are spurring from is on the ring and not already a spur.
Your new socket will require RCD protection, and depending on the way you run the cable that too may need RCD protection.
You should also test the circuit on completion of the job and complete a minor works certificate in accordance with BS7671.

Obviously you also need to be insured to do electrical work and a condition of your insurance policy may be that it will only cover you for electrical work if you are qualified.

Do you own an MFT, and are you OK with the testing and filling in of installation certs?

Do you own an MFT, and are you OK with the testing and filling in of installation certs?

Had an MFT but broken, so will get a new one. Haven't completed any installation certs but I am a quick learner.

To be honest, if the work is above my knowledge I would refer a client to an electrician anyway, safety first. Currently I'm looking into finding a short course to cover the basics, enough for the simplest certification, but so far not having much success finding the right course. I see plenty of the "scam" 4 day course costing thousands but I don't trust these quick-fix training companies.

This is where is think things sometimes start to go wrong. It’s ok learning to use a MFT and fill in the certificates, but it is interpreting the test results, and understanding what they mean. Should you get find you have a break in end to end of your ring circuit, are you able find the fault and then fix it. Should you do some work and there is a fault can you sort that. Sorry to sound negative but I really don’t like handy men doing electrical work.

This is where is think things sometimes start to go wrong. It’s ok learning to use a MFT and fill in the certificates, but it is interpreting the test results, and understanding what they mean. Should you get find you have a break in end to end of your ring circuit, are you able find the fault and then fix it. Should you do some work and there is a fault can you sort that. Sorry to sound negative but I really don’t like handy men doing electrical work.

No, I understand your concerns - and share them. Hence my eagerness to learn enough to work safely. That being said, I will only do simple tasks, such as those that I realisze many sparkies wouldn't want to take on because such jobs are too small. I've had copnversations with some electricians telling me that they are too skilled to do a job under £100, which is probably just idle bragging, such as swapping a single socket for a double, and so on.

Some electricians do get a bit to big for there boots, not the type I would to have work with me. Please don’t get me wrong I am only talking in a very general sense. I am sure you will be perfectly capable to carry out the tasks you wish to do with the right training. I only say what I say because I have been to so many job where someone else has had a go. The home owners say the guy who’s comes and cuts the hedge said he knows how to wire my kitchen, etc... then it don’t work how they are suppose to. And it is left dangerous.

Reply to Absolute minimal certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net