Discuss AC current flow in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

One thread deleted and two similar threads merged.

Please just stick with the one thread to discuss one topic Monkeyblaine. Thanks.
Not sure he read this as i hate to inform you lol..... how your ability at merging 3 threads :dizzy2:

Re: Ac help please help!!!!!!

PS please refer to Richard Burns post in your previous thread hes done a good job at explaining it, i dont think you can really put it any more simpler.

Last help.

Voltage does not flow. Voltage is a pressure that causes current to flow.

Current flows. The current that flows is determined by the resistance (inductance) of the load and the applied voltage.

For a Current to flow there must be a circuit (for a.c.) from Line to Neutral and there must be a voltage between the two.
The voltage on the Line varies from +325V to -325V.
The voltage on the Neutral stays at zero.

When the voltage on the line is zero then no current flows as there is no voltage between line and Neutral
As the Line voltage rises up to +325V the current flow rises in proportion to the voltage (assuming a fixed load).
Conventional current flow is from Line to neutral.
The voltage on the line then falls to zero as does the current flow.
The voltage on the line then drops to -325V the current flow increases proportionally but going from Neutral to Line.

This diagram may help, showing a load of 230 ohms between Line to Neutral and demonstrating the current flow at points along one and a half cycles (0.03 seconds)
View attachment 11506

If you cannot get this then read the links you have been given.

Neutral push!

Would I be right in saying that during the negative half cycle and the line conductor is at -230v RMS this is the attracting force which alternates the voltage and in a way sort of sucks the current the opposite direction (for argument sake) back through the neural and keeps alternating every 100th of a second, in a 50hz supply??

Re: Neutral push!

Maybe,instead of thinking of a sucking force.try ignoring the actual neutral conductor

Try thinking about the star point of the transformer where the neutral originates,then imagine your single phase supply being connected directly onto the windings at that transformer,then picture the current and voltage as in the sine wave of the alternating cycles,at that transformer,it may help you this way

Ok I understand that. But am still right in saying during the negative half cycle this is when the current changes direction and heads back up the neutral though the load then through the line. And it's because of this negative half cycle (-230v) that's the reason it is pushed back the other way.

Four threads on the same subject, five if you include the ones Marvo merged and you still haven’t grasped it.
This is getting beyond a joke.

I've merged another 3 topics that are all about the same subject. If you have any more questions on basic electrical theory please just append to this thread, it's getting very confusing for the members who are posting replies and trying to help you out.....and the crowd is getting restless. :)

Just out of interest did you check out the free books I linked to in this post yet??

Your welcome but word of advice is just learn the basics how it was taught and be very careful you dont mix quantum theory with AC theory as they will give complete different opposing answers, no disrepect but quantum for the moment is too advanced for you so stick to the concept that electrons wizz around, its taught like this because it was originally believed to be the case but also it has been kept this where due to its concept can be understood better, but which ever method you learn the calcs are the same and thats the info thats important.
Its good though to see enthusiasm in the younger generation to want to understand further about the fundementals and not just tie their learning off once they know the REG' no#.

Reply to AC current flow in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net