Discuss AC vs DC, live vs neutral in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

There are plenty of older properties that have underground bare copper water supply pipes, up to half a mile long. These are bonded at the property, and provide a far better earth than anything the DNO could achieve, but as per Rockingit above, they don't count when considering the earthing of the property.

So are you looking at buying this place? If so, then as part of your normal surveys just get a competent electrician to conduct an inspection and go from there.

And no, MICC would not provide a 'giant earth rod' as whilst it would maybe introduce some additional parallel paths to earth (and only where it's not been installed correctly!) that doesn't count towards the earthing system of a property because the measurements that are taken to determine that are those of the supply end, with parallel paths disconnected. Additionally, you won't find any reference to it in BS7430 as an approved method (even if it did work!)
Thanks, Rockingit. Yes, I had an EICR at £400+. He agreed no visible earth although clearly the supply earth is connected. Same chap who complained that the sheath was used as CPC. I think I need a recommended sparky from this group. Postcode MK44. What might I expect to pay for a full rewire if needed, large 5 bed house? I guess MICC wouldn't be used these days?

Thanks, Rockingit. Yes, I had an EICR at £400+. He agreed no visible earth although clearly the supply earth is connected. Same chap who complained that the sheath was used as CPC. I think I need a recommended sparky from this group. Postcode MK44. What might I expect to pay for a full rewire if needed, large 5 bed house? I guess MICC wouldn't be used these days?
Pop a post up in Electricians Jobs - https://www.electriciansforums.net/forums/electricians-jobs/ and I'm pretty sure there will be a few people in/around your area. @D Skelton might be able to assist.

And no, MICC isn't an everyday wiring method anymore.

Reply to AC vs DC, live vs neutral in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net