Discuss AC Service Panel Max Solar Backfeed in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DavidF2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I plan to add solar to my home and have a question about how many amps I can backfeed into my AC service panel using Net Metering. I know NEC 705.12 (D) (3) limits this to 120% of the service panel busbar capacity minus the main circuit breaker rating.

I have an old GE panel from the ‘70s, Model number TM1410MUF that has a 100A main breaker, so at first glance it looks like I can only have a 20A solar breaker. But, the label on the door says “Main Ratings 120/240V A-C 3—WIRE”, then below that it says “125A Max SEE MAIN CIR. BKR. RATING”.

Is this saying my busbar rating is 125A, and so would I be able to install a solar breaker (1.2 x 125) – 100 Main = 50A? Note I only need 30-40A.

Thanks!

Attachments

• panel pic.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
The amount of power you can feed to the POCO is limited by YOUR POCO not the NEC or another governing body. Call the POCO and ask them.
Depending on where you live you might want to reconsider this action.
California has just created NET 3.0 or so it is being called which creates a pay back period of over 20 years for Californians.

Reply to AC Service Panel Max Solar Backfeed in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

My best mate has been medically retired from the prison service at the young age of 52 and has time on his hands :D He's looking at a 'plug in'...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a homeowner and have a solar project coming up. I intend to install a 9kw solar system but I am not sure if I have to upgrade my main...
Replies
Views
I need to design an electrical panel, and the main circuit breaker is rated at 250 A. We are implementing a 100% Brum solution for the panel, but...
Replies
Views
I have an interesting scenario that could use some feedback. I have 200A service in my home with a sub panel running to a detached garage...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am asking for a double check on my project before I purchase any electrical parts. My inverter Solark 15k has a built in 200 bus and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock