Search the forum,

Discuss Adding 2 PIR’s Too a 2 way lighting circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P666

-
Reaction score
Hello I have just finished college and waiting to sit my AM2.

A customer has asked me to install a few PIR’S into an existing lighting circuit.

On the one way system was playing to use the S/L from the switch to feed the PIR and then from PIR to feed the lights. ( as the customer just wants them switched from the PIR now)

My question is on the 2 way lighting is this still possible to do ?

Use the switchline from the switch to feed both PIR then from PIR to the same lighting circuit just at other ends of the hall way ??

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Hello I have just finished college and waiting to sit my AM2.

A customer has asked me to install a few PIR’S into an existing lighting circuit.

On the one way system was playing to use the S/L from the switch to feed the PIR and then from PIR to feed the lights. ( as the customer just wants them switched from the PIR now)

My question is on the 2 way lighting is this still possible to do ?

Use the switchline from the switch to feed both PIR then from PIR to the same lighting circuit just at other ends of the hall way ??

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi

Yes, not seen a PIR in with 2 way switching but of course everything is possible.

I see you are putting the 1 way switch in series with the PIR.

Is that what you want to do with the 2 way? If you did it would be difficult for the customer to know what state of switching it was in.

Write down your idea or better still draw a little diagram and post it on here

If the customer does not want to use the switches at all (though I would suggest it might be useful to have a way of turning them off for lamp changing) then the switches can be bypassed and provide you with a permanent line to connect to the PIR. The switches can remain in place, unconnected, or a blank plate fitted over the connections.
Access to the neutral is usually the problem.
If you leave the two way switching in place then it would depend on how the two way switching is wired whether you could get a continuous permanent line available at the far end. (two wire switching no, three wire switching yes).
two way switching PL availability switch fed.jpg

Hi

Yes, not seen a PIR in with 2 way switching but of course everything is possible.

I see you are putting the 1 way switch in series with the PIR.

Is that what you want to do with the 2 way? If you did it would be difficult for the customer to know what state of switching it was in.

Write down your idea or better still draw a little diagram and post it on here

Really sorry for the basic drawing!!

Basically my plan was to locate the switchline at the downlighs and take it to feed my PIR. Take a link from this PIR to the next PIR at the other side of the room.

Then finally from both PIR at both sides of the hallway link to the down lights so if you walks in either door t would activate he PIR and bring the lights on. (If the swtich is on the on position)

DE187675-8A19-463D-BA9A-400BEA91A0EF.jpeg

Blank 1 switch off and make the other switch a key switch for testing and maintenance purposes
Take the feed to the 2nd pir off the feed side of the 1st and it’ll all work
Yes I like the idea of blank plate and key switch. So link the second PIR from the feed side of the first PIR ? Then to the lights on the load side ?

If you want to leave the existing switching in place then you would need to identify if there are neutrals at the switches. If there are no neutrals at the switches then it may be easiest to go from the first of the lights, remove the SL from the light fitting into a connector and have a three core going from light (SL from connector to supply of first PIR, N to first PIR and PIRSL back to light fitting) to PIR. Then take a three core between the PIRS.
Something like from the top diagram to the bottom diagram.
Obviously this is very dependent on how the existing lighting is presently wired and may well be unsuitable if they are wired differently from the top diagram.
2 PIR inserted into switched lights.jpg
You might need an indicator to show the PIRs are powered to avoid confusion with the two way switching.

Reply to Adding 2 PIR’s Too a 2 way lighting circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net