Discuss Adding a socket in cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How are you going to prove the cable you intend to cut is isolated?

The alarm is still connected and if I turn the switch on the alarm box powers up. When switch is off there is no sign of any power going to alarm, indeed, you can hear it powering down as the tamper alarm wails then silences.

I have completely dismissed the idea of a socket after this thread but would be keen to swap alarm for blank junction box.

Power down, remove alarm box then get a sparks in to remove the rest to the meter and while he's at the house to ad a double socket, this thread also reminds me that the seals have been missing at my house since I did the rewire.........

I would hazard a guess here that when that newish cu was installed the installer left the old metal enclosure feeding the alarm as it was and didn't touch it. Possibly took a look and wasnt sure why it was there? Which baffles me as they clearly had the fuse out to put tails in for the new CU so why leave the old box? A shame really when you think about it as if you look closely it appears the seal fairy visited at some point!!!
during the visit from the fairy it would have given ample time to sort that out. would be interested to know why they left it as it is and not move the alarm circuit to the new CU...
OP its a quick job for an electrician to install a new run of twin and earth for a socket above the consumer unit so call an electrician. Otherwise you run the risk of killing yourself.

Unless the OP feels like fitting a non-protected 6kW klaxon,on that alarm,i would recommend a professional spark,to disconnect and tidy.

I'm trying to guess the order of events here,and if pushed,i would pelt the meter fitter,with fruit,for giving heads or tails,on isolation :eek:

I would give your electricity supplier a call ( the one that sends you the bill) and ask them to come out and inspect your meter as you feel it is unsafe.
Given there are 2 load tails connected to each terminal I would imagine there would be copper showing and to physically get 2 cables in the terminals some of the strands would have to be cut off.
The supplier would remove the unwanted tails and remake the others to your CU.

Reply to Adding a socket in cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net