Discuss Adding sockets to a radial circuit in different directions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@LastManOnline I'm equally interested how it's impossible in the ROI.
If I went over there, and added a socket and did a good job that didn't make it obvious it had been added, how would anyone find out, and what would the consequences be.

That's what I was thinking.

@LastManOnline I'm equally interested how it's impossible in the ROI.
If I went over there, and added a socket and did a good job that didn't make it obvious it had been added, how would anyone find out, and what would the consequences be.
Yes. Of course you could wire a socket or light etc. In fact you are entitled to do that. But it would not be possible for you to " wire and certify" as only registered electricians can obtain, complete and return wiring certificates.

Yes. Of course you could wire a socket or light etc. In fact you are entitled to do that. But it would not be possible for you to " wire and certify" as only registered electricians can obtain, complete and return wiring certificates.

So there will be plenty of people just doing work under the radar then. Same as here.

This thread has drifted way off topic. The OP asked whether he can legally carry out these works, the answer is yes. Assuming this is their own private dwelling it needs no notification or Certification, they can do as they wish but I assume they have long been scared off.

This thread has drifted way off topic. The OP asked whether he can legally carry out these works, the answer is yes. Assuming this is their own private dwelling it needs no notification or Certification, they can do as they wish but I assume they have long been scared off.
Is it right that if it's your own dwelling you don't need to notify or certify at all? Is this for any work or just non-notifiable?

Never knew this if it's true.

That's what I deduce from the thread so far, PROVIDING they are competent, apply the regs and notify notifiable work

As an aside, have there been any convictions of homeowners who carried out electrical work in IE? Specifically I'm thinking of situations where no one was injured and the conviction was solely due to their not being registered to carry out the work in question.

As an aside, have there been any convictions of homeowners who carried out electrical work in IE? Specifically I'm thinking of situations where no one was injured and the conviction was solely due to their not being registered to carry out the work in question.
Yes. Every year now there are a few. Interestingly it's the "not being registered" bit that causes the real problems. It does mean (unfortunately in my view) that a trained electrician cannot carry out electrical works in his own home which are deemed to be "restricted". Basically thats any works involving the CU

Oh yes, I always get a registered electrician in when I need some electrical work done in my own home.
🤣🤣🤣

So there will be plenty of people just doing work under the radar then. Same as here.
Work "under the radar" happens everywhere, all the time. But it's less likely to happen over here. You won, t find diyers on electrical forums in ROI asking how to connect up an extra socket etc. They would, nt be entertained. Even though they are entitled to do that work in their own home. But let's just say its not really encouraged. Or more accurately its probably frowned upon.

Work "under the radar" happens everywhere, all the time. But it's less likely to happen over here. You won, t find diyers on electrical forums in ROI asking how to connect up an extra socket etc. They would, nt be entertained. Even though they are entitled to do that work in their own home. But let's just say its not really encouraged. Or more accurately its probably frowned upon.

A few recent threads on this forum have concerned me, where it has been clear that the OP is well out of their depth.

Difficult to draw a line between giving basic information and leading people who clearly aren't competent to undertake the work in question.

That's it

My question was not about people misrepresenting themselves, but prosecution of homeowners who have undertaken works that should have been carried out by a registered electrician. Prosecutions involving work where no one came to harm as that would be comparable to the questions being answered about the UK.

I get that differences exist in legislation, but want to understand if differences exist where enforcement is concerned.

A few recent threads on this forum have concerned me, where it has been clear that the OP is well out of their depth.

Difficult to draw a line between giving basic information and leading people who clearly aren't competent to undertake the work in question.
Fully agree, but there's nothing to suggest that the OP is incompetent in this thread.
On the other hand, the thread about transferring a socket from kitchen RFC to boiler spur ........

Reply to Adding sockets to a radial circuit in different directions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net