Discuss Advice on a kitchen circuit. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bobert

Hello all, could I ask your advice and opinion?

18 months ago, I fitted in a new kitchen to my house (built 1994). My friend did some electrical work. He is not a qualified electrician, but has done extensive work on his own property (an old farmhouse) and appears to know his stuff.

I was unaware of this thing called a part p at the time.

Anyhow, the kitchen work consisted of putting a single electric built in oven, in a new location in the kitchen. It is rated at 2.3kw. My friend stated that the cooker should be on its own circuit for safety. He installed a 6mm cable up from the main fuse box, into the landing floorboard space, along and down into the kitchen. This went to a cooker cut off switch. This was situated in the wall to the right of the oven. This then went straight down to floor level across behind the oven and back up to a socket behind the oven. It is not a normal plug socket but something that he had to wire the cooker straight into via its flex. All cables run vertical up and down, either through floor board space or stud walls. The whole circuit is protected by a 32a breaker. The hob is not connected to this circuit. It is gas and runs of the old circuit the original cooker was on.

Since getting some work done by a bathroom fitter, I have found out about these Part P regs. I am concerned that I have made an immense cock up.

In your expert opinions, firstly does the installation sound right/safe? And how can I put the situation right in regards this Part P authority? Even if you think this sounds safe and right, I still want to amend my mistake with not getting it certified correctly at the time.

Though I trust my friends abilities, I would very much like to get this done right and properly certified.

Thanks for your time

Hello all, could I ask your advice and opinion?

18 months ago, I fitted in a new kitchen to my house (built 1994). My friend did some electrical work. He is not a qualified electrician, but has done extensive work on his own property (an old farmhouse) and appears to know his stuff.

I was unaware of this thing called a part p at the time.

Anyhow, the kitchen work consisted of putting a single electric built in oven, in a new location in the kitchen. It is rated at 2.3kw. My friend stated that the cooker should be on its own circuit for safety. He installed a 6mm cable up from the main fuse box, into the landing floorboard space, along and down into the kitchen. This went to a cooker cut off switch. This was situated in the wall to the right of the oven. This then went straight down to floor level across behind the oven and back up to a socket behind the oven. It is not a normal plug socket but something that he had to wire the cooker straight into via its flex. All cables run vertical up and down, either through floor board space or stud walls. The whole circuit is protected by a 32a breaker. The hob is not connected to this circuit. It is gas and runs of the old circuit the original cooker was on.

Since getting some work done by a bathroom fitter, I have found out about these Part P regs. I am concerned that I have made an immense cock up.

In your expert opinions, firstly does the installation sound right/safe? And how can I put the situation right in regards this Part P authority? Even if you think this sounds safe and right, I still want to amend my mistake with not getting it certified correctly at the time.

Though I trust my friends abilities, I would very much like to get this done right and properly certified.

Thanks for your time

Sounds like hes done it spot on in regards to maximum demand etc. Would have to see how he installed it though. What year was this done before or after 2008? You have made a cockup by letting someone unqualified do it. You will need to get a spark to put his name to it via a PIR. cost you between £140 and £200 providing everything is ok and no remedial work is needed. Not many sparks will go near it if you tell them someone not part p installed it though and most lads will spot the extra circuit a mile off.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what you say, the installation appears to be kosher, but it should have an installation certificate and should be notified to building control. this will cost anything up to £300.

You will have to make a retrospective notification to your LABC.
Will probablly entail having a PIR conducted on the installation, unless your friend can issue you with an EIC.

Hi electricalserv

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The work was done in 2009. If a qualified fella will probably not touch it to certify, does this mean I will need to have the whole circuit removed and the replaced?

Hi electricalserv

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The work was done in 2009. If a qualified fella will probably not touch it to certify, does this mean I will need to have the whole circuit removed and the replaced?

No you are sure to find a guy who will put his name to it via a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) but if hes worth his meat he'll want to see how its been installed etc. Ring a spark and ask for a PIR.

Hi spinlondon

I was not aware I could get a retrospective approval, so thanks for that information. Do you think I will get in any bother by letting them know waht has happened?

no need to remove/replace. if you make a retrospective notification to LABC, they will have it checked and tested. will cost a piggin fortune though.

Hi spinlondon

I was not aware I could get a retrospective approval, so thanks for that information. Do you think I will get in any bother by letting them know waht has happened?
you'll get in less bother by keeping quiet about it. it's a fact that the policing of part p is virtually non-existant, and although it goes against principals of having any electrical work done by qualified electricians. the bottom line is that most domestic electrical work in this country is done by non qualified persons, and nobody the wiser. ( sits back awaiting flak)

isnt it the case, that its upto the housholder to notify the LABC of the work, and that the cost is to be borne by the LABC, and not the householder?

If you are not using a part p guy then it is householder's responsibility to notify building control. If you/householder pay all the fees then it is the labc's responsibility to test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why put yourself in a vulnerable position with building control ? :confused:
There is a "theoretical" fine and daily fine (if non compliant)that could be charged against you
Your description makes the installation appear that it is installed correctly

Part p also applies to non registered first class,top of the notch electricians, who cant
even install a simillar set up to yours without what I would describe as, the nonesense of Part P,you can bet your house on there being a vast majority of installations done outside of part P

I would have my suspicions about the motives of any Kitchen fitter who uses Part p to put fear into an householder
They are one of the reasons registered electrical installation quality in dwellings has been undermined by their inclusion in a trade they mostly dont understand

If you have concerns that its not up to scratch and want to be assured of safety only,then an electrican ( not a Part p Kitchen fitter or Tiler or Plumber :eek: ) to test the circuit

If ever you want to sell, and by some unlikely odds you are asked for certification,that would be the time to have the whole inastallation checked(PiR)
The alternative which is the politically correct way, is not the procedure I would recomend

Reply to Advice on a kitchen circuit. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net