Discuss Advice on EICR fail in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The buyers of our flat (upper floor of a two flat building) have just had an EICR done and it has flagged a number of C1’s and C2’s. I was hoping someone might be able to give a second opinion as to whether the C1’s listed are reasonable (ie should they be C1’s). I’m no expert (at all) and if they are reasonable then fair enough, but would be great if anyone is able to give a second opinion.

-Main earth extremly high at origin - C1
- All downlights are not fire rated - C2
  • No CPC conection through downlights - C1
  • Lights wired in 1mm cable protected by 10amp breaker. - C2
  • No RCD protection on any circuits - C1
  • Sub Board for cooker dangerously wired incorrectly and in 6mm single insulated
cable - C1

Thanks for your help.

None of those C1 codes are worthy of such a code in my opinion. C1 dangers should be rectified immediately and the inspection halted until they are or a danger notice issued.
I'd doubt the professionalism and or ability of the inspector.

None of those C1 codes are worthy of such a code in my opinion. C1 dangers should be rectified immediately and the inspection halted until they are or a danger notice issued.
I'd doubt the professionalism and or ability of the inspector.
Thanks Andy. I thought they might have been a bit over zealous with the C1’s (slightly suspicious about their impartiality as they were affiliated with a building contractor who also came at the same time to quote for other work the buyers want done, so may have a bit of a vested interest in saying a load of work needs doing). Also thought it was odd they didn’t say anything to me about anything dangerous at the time they did the inspection as I was there (with kids) and I’ve only been given a copy of the report now because I asked for it after the buyer raised concerns.

I have the impression whoever wrote the report is either (a) angling for lots of remedial work, or (b) being unduly harsh perhaps because they were asked to be, or (c) has absolutely no idea what they are doing.

What people writing these reports perhaps don't realise, if they code something that shouldn't be coded, and cause someone to pay for unnecessary work, they might leave themselves open to legal action and perhaps be liable for those costs.

Reply to Advice on EICR fail in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net