Discuss Air Handling Unit Information in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craigie1211

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction on where I can get information on an Air Handling Unit we have installed in our office premises.

We moved into a building which was originally a visitor centre, we've since installed radiators instead of this AHU as it would blow in cold air.

Please see images at Upload the image directly to the thread in the hope that someone will know exactly what we have here and whether its worth putting up for sale? If its going to be of use to someone any suggestions as to where I list such an item?

Thanks in advance

if the ahu blows in cold air it is not set up right, the set temperature needs raising, the reason its blowing cold air in is the temperature is higher than the target temperature.

that ahu is very similar to the kit we work on.

find a panel labled bms or ahu and let us know the name on it, if we can find out the brand of controller we might be able to help, it will probably need someone to plug a computer in and change some settings

Last edited:
Has the AHU got any Refrigeration equipment connected to it??? only the diagram shows a minus and plus temperature icon, which prompts my question.

no not worth selling the unit and its a heat recovery unit (eg hot air is removed from the build passed through the unit which has a coil heat exchanger, the warm water is passed to the below unit via a flow and return pipework through another coil heat exchanger to warm the outside air coming in)

It's got multiple filter stages, maybe even HEPA filtration. It's heating and cooling but I can't tell if it's got heat recovery as well. I can't believe you abandoned it in favour of radiators, someone spent a small fortune on this system and it should have given decades of good service if it was looked after. It's actually bringing a tear to my eye, this unit should be keeping you toasty warm all winter and cool as a cucumber all summer at a fraction of the price of radiators.

This unit would have been built specifically for your installation so you're going to struggle to fine a buyer who will use it exactly as it is. You could strip out the controls and fans etc and try sell them 2nd hand but they won't be an easy sell. You could scrap it but you'll need a team of guys to dismantle and remove it first so that exercise will also probably have a nett cost.

You've just wasted a heap of Aussie Dollars that would have been far better spent hiring an HVAC company to come out and set up this unit properly for you. So what are you going to do in the summer months when you'll be needing COOLING air?? From what i remember of Perth's summers you'll be in dire straights without AC....

You've just wasted a heap of Aussie Dollars that would have been far better spent hiring an HVAC company to come out and set up this unit properly for you. So what are you going to do in the summer months when you'll be needing COOLING air?? From what i remember of Perth's summers you'll be in dire straights without AC....

First of all thanks everyone for the replies, second I should clarify I am located in Perth, Scotland and unfortunately not Australia. Cool air is the LAST thing we need here haha. The system wasn't very energy efficient, running at around 12KWH I believe. This has dropped considerably since we switched to radiators. My boss is quite adamant that someone would purchase everything as a whole but I'm trying to gather evidence that suggests it won't be an easy task.

Haha!! my mistake, i suppose i should have realised...

Nothing to stop your company trying to sell this AHU, though where you would advertise the sale i have no idea. though i'm sure there must be publications and websites that would cater for the sale of such plant....

Last edited by a moderator:
I like ENG54 believe you missed out here ... I'm sure with a service and clean bill of health the efficiency of this unit would far exceed the rad's you put in, yes it may give 12KWH but that figure means nothing if you don't have any details to how long it takes to warm or cool an area compared to any alternative, at the time of install this was a very expensive piece of kit and I cannot see the previous owner lashing out all that money if he could have installed a basic rad' system.

This to me seems like the boss has gone --- about face here, (s)he should have got a service engineer in to give a quote and explanation on the benefits of this AHU against your proposed radiator system... sounds like because its probably set wrong and blew cold air then massive assumptions have been made and an alternative fitted - I dare say the new system is going to be less efficient unless there was something wrong with this AHU.

I sincerely hope your bosses judgement in this situe' is of no reflection on how they run the business :juggle2:... unless we haven't ben given all the details.

as long as there tek screwed does it matter? would you put tray,conduit in or p clips for one or two pressure sensors?
Because it looks untidy and poor quality. I would snag it if it was done on one of my jobs.

Also, aren't those panels supposed to be removable for maintenance access?

Anyway, all this is OT. Hard to imagine the thought processes of not getting a hvac engineer in to fix it, and deciding to have a new heating system put in....

Last edited:
Because it looks untidy and poor quality. I would snag it if it was done on one of my jobs.

Also, aren't those panels supposed to be removable for maintenance access?

Anyway, all this is OT. Hard to imagine the thought processes of not getting a hvac engineer in to fix it, and deciding to have a new heating system put in....
nope, the ahu's come in kit form and are screwed together, on that type as long as the doors are kept clear and below where the pipes go in its fine (there is a drip tray etc or similar below the pipes usually)

at least with the sticky pads the panels can be removed etc easily by removing the tywraps

Last edited:
I'm glad my post started a discussion, I didn't think I'd get a reply! I'm actually an IT technician and somehow looking to sell things online = my responsibility.

If anyone is interested the building is circular and was a visitor centre for Bells Whiskey, at that time it was all open planned all the way around like an exhibition. It was empty for 3 years before it was bought by my boss and it was split up into offices and smaller rooms, thats when it was decided that the entire AHU unit was too complex for our needs now.

So what I've gathered is A) mistake to stop using it B) purpose built for the building and probably doesn't have any resell value C) Wasn't working right when we first moved in and D) whoever installed it did a terrible job :p

Thank you all for your input and anything else is appreciated.

I'm glad my post started a discussion, I didn't think I'd get a reply! I'm actually an IT technician and somehow looking to sell things online = my responsibility.

If anyone is interested the building is circular and was a visitor centre for Bells Whiskey, at that time it was all open planned all the way around like an exhibition. It was empty for 3 years before it was bought by my boss and it was split up into offices and smaller rooms, thats when it was decided that the entire AHU unit was too complex for our needs now.

So what I've gathered is A) mistake to stop using it B) purpose built for the building and probably doesn't have any resell value C) Wasn't working right when we first moved in and D) whoever installed it did a terrible job :p

Thank you all for your input and anything else is appreciated.
not really, some people on here are stuck up there own arse and don't like any other way than there own.

the bag filters are probably blocked by now and gases might have needed to be changed/topped up etc but not a great deal of work

not really, some people on here are stuck up there own arse and don't like any other way than there own.

the bag filters are probably blocked by now and gases might have needed to be changed/topped up etc but not a great deal of work

Or they just have a different opinion to you, which doesn't make them "stuck up there own arse", it just means they have a different idea.

He asked for opinions Shank and thats what he got - everyone differs on some aspects and agree on others hence the nature of an opinion ... a bit strong to suggest someone is stuck up there own --- just because of it...well unless they refuse to be open to other views and blindly belief they are always correct then in that case I'll agree 100%

Reply to Air Handling Unit Information in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net