Discuss how to successfully approach manufacturer for information in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The first line in the manual as shown in the photo above says "this appliance must be earthed".
Therefore it is Class I.

As there appear to be no exposed conductive parts, as indicated by the OP when conducting the test, how would we know if the appliance earth connection has failed? Or that one or more of the metallic parts that are accessible should, in fact, give a continuity reading?

Very poor on the part of the manufacturer if you ask me!

Seems to be a more common thing these days as well.

Worth googling the 'Functional earth' logo as well

I was thinking along the same lines; this presumably has an earth because the boiler is class I. If the water feed pipe to the group head is metallic then by removing the portafilter and probing up inside the group head you might get lucky. OTOH if it is connected by a length of silicone tubing you're snookered.

As far as Breville's response goes, it sounds like the work of the customer services people, whereas if they have a technical department they might give a better answer. I would address any enquiry direct to technical and request their recommended procedure for ISITEE in accordance with the current ACoP.

If it turns out they only sell products branded for them by an independent maker then you might find the technical department is in China. Good luck.

I was thinking along the same lines; this presumably has an earth because the boiler is class I. If the water feed pipe to the group head is metallic then by removing the portafilter and probing up inside the group head you might get lucky. OTOH if it is connected by a length of silicone tubing you're snookered.

As far as Breville's response goes, it sounds like the work of the customer services people, whereas if they have a technical department they might give a better answer. I would address any enquiry direct to technical and request their recommended procedure for ISITEE in accordance with the current ACoP.

If it turns out they only sell products branded for them by an independent maker then you might find the technical department is in China. Good luck.
Thank you for your kind and detailed reply Lucien Nunes.
Thanks to your post, I googled 'portafilter' and 'group head' - which were new to me - next time I'm at the premises or in a similar situation I'll know to go for the water feed pipe!

Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Much obliged for the all the input.

I'm still hoping for a result from Breville and will update if it comes.

Meanwhile The CE Marking Association were very helpful with identifying some relevant legislation.

Article 6(7) of the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU :
image002.png

Section 9 of The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016:

image001 (1).png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your prompt and polite reply to my query.

However, I am not happy with two aspects of the response given:

1. 'This is commercially sensitive and we would not share that level of technical specifications with customers.'
- I am not asking for commercially sensitive information. I am asking for basic information on maintaining the electrical safety of your consumer equipment in a low-risk environment. I believe Breville are obliged to provide this type of technical specification to the end user.

2. 'It does meet all food safety standards as per British and European Regulations.'
- This issue is not to do with food safety standards, it is to do with electrical safety standards. The relevant instrument for compliance here is The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016, which places upon the manufacturer an obligation to provide safety information for marketed
equipment.

I did however feel you answered me very politely and appreciate you must genuinely feel unable to give me the information I asked for.

Just to reiterate, I asked you where on the VCF145 I can locate an exposed conductive part for carrying out the protective conductor continuity test as part of the portable appliance testing ('PAT testing') procedure.

If you still feel unable to provide me with this information, please could you kindly direct my query to someone in your technical department?

Many thanks for your kind help

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly, we can not forward your inquiry to our technical department and we are unable to provide you any technical information.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and I'm sorry I could not offer a more favourable reply.

If I can be of further assistance, please reply to this email directly.

Thank you

Thank you for your courteous reply.

However it's disappointing to hear you cannot give out technical information or forward my query to your technical department.

Would you be able to kindly give me the contact details for your technical department so that I can email them myself?

Many thanks
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, we can not share with you any contact details of our technical department.

Please note we can only forward PAT results to our technical team.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and I'm sorry I could not offer a more favourable reply.

Thank you

Thank you for your polite reply.

That is frustrating news but I understand you are only doing as instructed.

Just to reiterate, I am asking for some basic safety information as an end user of one of your consumer products. I believe that providing such information is an obligation of the manufacturer (you) under the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU and The Electrical Equipment (Safety)
Regulations 2016.

Please could you kindly help me make a formal complaint? I cannot find any information online regarding a complaints procedure, apart from contacting Customer Services.

Many thanks
Thank you for your response.

Kindly accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please reply to this email with your formal complaint.

Thank you

Thank you for your kind reply. Please will you forward this formal complaint to the relevant party?

Dear sir or madam,

As an end-user I would like to know where I can find an exposed-conductive-part on the Class I VCF145 coffee maker for portable appliance testing. This is not at all obvious upon visual inspection and it is not indicated in the instruction manual. Without this essential safety
information I cannot carry out the protective conductor continuity test on the item to confirm it is safe for continued use (PAT).

Your consumer service representative has informed me that you do not give out this type of information to customers, as it is commercially sensitive. They have also informed me that they cannot redirect my query to, or provide contact details for your technical team.

My main complaint is that you should not be withholding this type of essential safety information at all from customers or end-users. As basic safety information for a Class I item of equipment where the identification of an exposed-conductive-part is not straightforward, its location should really be illustrated plainly in the instruction manual.

As I see it you have marketed the VCF145 as a Class I item of equipment, then refused to support the end-user on how to maintain it safely, which is not compliant with current legislation. As a manufacturer of an item of electrical equipment bearing the CE Mark you are duty bound to provide the customer and end-user with instructions and safety information in compliance with Article 6(7) of the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU and Section 9 of The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016.

It is bewildering that you have instructed your customer service representatives to withhold this type of safety information on the basis that it is commercially sensitive. Clearly this cannot be an item of commercially sensitive information. It is essential for ongoing safe maintenance of your equipment.

Finally I am unimpressed by a system that discourages direct communication with a technical team on a technical matter. I can only hope for a positive result having made this a formal complaint, but cannot shake the feeling my message is going to circulate in a loop with your consumer services
representative, who for all his politeness must be getting pretty fed up with me by now.

Thank you for your attention
Thank you for your response and your time to explain the reason of contact.

Your email has been passed over to the technical team. If they will find it of any interest they will reach out directly. On our side, this is as far as we can help.

Have a good day.

Thank you
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to bombard thread but thanks to DG for the remark about the CE mark, which led me to find the legislation I wanted.

Keep us posted. As you say, it's dissappointing when you get this sort of communication failure, especially from a company which really should know better.

Reply to how to successfully approach manufacturer for information in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net