Discuss all this rubbish about "volt drop" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ayjay

the little boys on here worry about a bit of volt drop a few volts
it happens all over the world children
what the heck wrong with with a bit of volt drop?
things still work thats all that counts

You've obviously never thrown a distribution network around a festival site!!

:daisy: :juggle: :singer: :joker: :drummer:

Take a standard DNO transformer.
1000KVA
11/.433KV
4.75% reactance
Terminal voltage to neutral is 249.9V

All calculations are based on 230V.

Notice a slight inconsistency?

Take a standard DNO transformer.
1000KVA
11/.433KV
4.75% reactance
Terminal voltage to neutral is 249.9V

All calculations are based on 230V.

Notice a slight inconsistency?

Festival site - take some hefty temp generators all set to 230 / 415 - string as much as you can off them until nothing is left to drop out of the end. You ever thrown 40km of festoon lighting in the air?

Another absolutely classic post from Ayjay there. Daz

And that children is how a Electrical Trainee views the industry, through the eyes of the ill-informed, semi-trained Monkey!

415V = 240V Ph→N

yeah, yeah... I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick up on that! Yes, I'll confess, we do run them a little on the warm side just in order to give us a fighting chance! But it's true, though, I've often gone to meter the end of a very long run and found 150-160V left. Depends on what it is and how mission critical as to whether it justifies the expense of pulling another genset in. It's only there for a few days, after-all.

Worst one I remember was a 400A powerlock run through a wood in Kent somewhere - ended up being nearly 500m from the genset to the first board. AND all those nice heavy 185mm singles that had to be laid out through the trees and hand-balled back in again.... You know? I nearly almost miss it......

Using that same "logic" why don't we wire showers in 2.5? It'll work won't it?
It's not like the shower is running for that long.

ayjay, are you polish? as long as the light lights up, f*k the technicalities.

Reply to all this rubbish about "volt drop" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net