Discuss Amendment 3 Consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all, seems to be a load of manufacturers selling Amd 3 domestic cu's with 2 x RCD's splitting the board and then just mcb's.

I have never bothered doing anything but multiple rcbo's due to the hassles of RCD going and taking other circuits due to a little bit of earth leakage from appliances and computer chargers etc..

Does anybody bother fitting these boards and do you even prefer them ?

They are quite a lot cheaper but I have a few to fit and don't want to be constantly called because the RCD's keep causing nuisance.

Thanks.

Hey all, seems to be a load of manufacturers selling Amd 3 domestic cu's with 2 x RCD's splitting the board and then just mcb's.

I have never bothered doing anything but multiple rcbo's due to the hassles of RCD going and taking other circuits due to a little bit of earth leakage from appliances and computer chargers etc..

Does anybody bother fitting these boards and do you even prefer them ?

They are quite a lot cheaper but I have a few to fit and don't want to be constantly called because the RCD's keep causing nuisance.

Thanks.
most houses have split load boards fitted and its very rare the rcd trips.

Off topic but its currently a good idea to snap up the fully loaded plastic split load CU's for dirt cheap (due to new regs enforcing metal or metal containment around it in Jan) and take the MCB's/RCD's from it and stick them in a new metal one.

I rarely see houses with a full set of RCBO's, although they are convenient if a certain circuit trips it doesn't take out half the board. If you think your going to encounter nuisance tripping then fit a high integrity board and put that nuisance prone circuit on its own MCB/RCBO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 16th Ed board, so only 1 RCD. It hardly ever trips.... unless the daughter spills her drink down the back of the furniture directly onto a socket.....

I have a 16th Ed board, so only 1 RCD. It hardly ever trips.... unless the daughter spills her drink down the back of the furniture directly onto a socket.....
probably because you've by-passed it.:hammer:

If I fit boards for people I always try and talk them into RCBO's, But the expense of the breakers and then finding a board big enough to fit them easily often puts people off. Personally I cant stand split load boards.

probably because you've by-passed it.:hammer:

I would never do that. I'm a good boy mate.

I would love to replace my 16th Ed CU with one with RCBO's but I have no chance of getting it done. I cant afford the £350 or £500 cost (whatever it would cost). I can just imagine trying to get it past the missus.... "Why spend that for something that already works?" She would have a point. That money would buy the kids a lot of school clothes.

Always fit dual RCD boards a matter of course

If after I have completed, tested and certified Any faults that appear after this it is still only a case of basic testing to trace the circuit that fault is on.

And as long as when fitted all test results are ok I know its not something I have done.

I can't see why people don't like split load boards as long as you install correctly and test you should not have a problem.

I would never do that. I'm a good boy mate.

I would love to replace my 16th Ed CU with one with RCBO's but I have no chance of getting it done. I cant afford the £350 or £500 cost (whatever it would cost). I can just imagine trying to get it past the missus.... "Why spend that for something that already works?" She would have a point. That money would buy the kids a lot of school clothes.

Wilts do a RCBO "bundle" for about £100.00 with 8 RCBO's (+ VAT)

Wilts do a RCBO "bundle" for about £100.00 with 8 RCBO's (+ VAT)

I would need someone to fit it mate. I don't have any calibrated test equipment as I'm just a pen pusher. I would also need all the certs. Forgot... Building Control would also need to be notified. More money...

Always fit dual RCD boards a matter of course

If after I have completed, tested and certified Any faults that appear after this it is still only a case of basic testing to trace the circuit that fault is on.

And as long as when fitted all test results are ok I know its not something I have done.

I can't see why people don't like split load boards as long as you install correctly and test you should not have a problem.

When a fault occurs its harder to track it down. Can you think of one being intermittent?

So I went and picked up a Hager Design 10 Amd 3 CU today 10 way 5+5 Dual RCD @ 63A but then I got to thinking perhaps it's just too damn risky once you get a few appliances and a laptop charger or two leaking to earth which they do plenty ! and then comes the nuisance tripping due to cumulative current. So I'm thinking go back tomorrow and get a Design 30 with just a main switch and lots of rcbo's to be better off and the Design 30 comes with the bells and whistles like the cable clamp for the tails to the incomer switch.

If it was a brand new install it would take me about 2-3 hours on an 'average' 8-10 circuit board and that would be very neat and tidy but the testing and form filling would probably take as much time again.

You'll find that it's best to take the time to get it right 1st time mate as 'tweaking' afterwards doesn't really make much difference, just a case of practice really.

Edit - reply to Shanky's post, forgot the old quote button. :)

Last edited:
So I went and picked up a Hager Design 10 Amd 3 CU today 10 way 5+5 Dual RCD @ 63A but then I got to thinking perhaps it's just too damn risky once you get a few appliances and a laptop charger or two leaking to earth which they do plenty ! and then comes the nuisance tripping due to cumulative current. So I'm thinking go back tomorrow and get a Design 30 with just a main switch and lots of rcbo's to be better off and the Design 30 comes with the bells and whistles like the cable clamp for the tails to the incomer switch.

I have 1 RCD. We have 2 laptops and lots of chargers, for the kids stuff, plugged in. It hasn't tripped yet.

Nearly always fit dual RCD as most people don't want to pay for RCBO's despite the advantages being explained. Cant think of a single instance of comeback to a dual RCD board I've installed. Some people over think things.

Reply to Amendment 3 Consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net