Discuss any advice on untangling the red tape???? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Ampered

hi all, I'm fairly new to electrics after re-training. Over the past 4 years I have passed my 2330 level 2&3, my 17th edition, 2391 inspection and testing but I am still finding it nigh on impossible to find work, and when i do its mainly short contract or agency work. Many employers are asking for NVQ level 3 to get in but I cant get that until I am in. They also ask for a JIB card but i cant get JIB registered as being out of work I dont have and cant work towards my NVQ3. Ive spent all my savings getting this far so dont have the money to register for Part P just yet but am saving towards it but I dont know what to do next, ive hit a wall and dont know how to get round or over it and non of the local council career advisors have a clue what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any advice to help me progress further or does anyone know who I caould contact that would be able to help me. Its a really frustrating time having all these qualifications and unable to use em :)

hi all, I'm fairly new to electrics after re-training. Over the past 4 years I have passed my 2330 level 2&3, my 17th edition, 2391 inspection and testing but I am still finding it nigh on impossible to find work, and when i do its mainly short contract or agency work. Many employers are asking for NVQ level 3 to get in but I cant get that until I am in. They also ask for a JIB card but i cant get JIB registered as being out of work I dont have and cant work towards my NVQ3. Ive spent all my savings getting this far so dont have the money to register for Part P just yet but am saving towards it but I dont know what to do next, ive hit a wall and dont know how to get round or over it and non of the local council career advisors have a clue what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any advice to help me progress further or does anyone know who I caould contact that would be able to help me. Its a really frustrating time having all these qualifications and unable to use em :)

You don't need NVQ for a 'JIB CARD' you will get graded as a senior graded electrical trainee with them quals.... Stupid I know...

Just register with the JIB sit their health and safety exam and you will have a card.

is that right ? I rang JIB registration helpline and they told me without the NVQ i would be Graded as a "labourer" which really knocked me back... I have already sat and passed the ECS health and safety but thats what they told me

The following is from their website:

To be eligible for an ECS Installation Electrician card, applicants must meet the following criteria:

• a) Have successfully completed an Approved Apprenticeship
    – or –
  • b) Hold the City and Guilds 2360 Part One and Two, or City and Guilds 2351 or City and Guilds 2330 Levels 2 and 3 or Approved Equivalent
    plus
  • c) NVQ Level 3 in Installation and Commissioning
    and
  • Hold a current (up-to-date) Health & Safety Certificate or recognised H&S qualification. For details visit the ECS H&S test information area.
    and
  • Hold a formal BS7671 qualification in the current edition of the wiring regulations (currently BS7671: 2008, 17th edition)
c) looks like what your talking about? So part p registered is probably the only option which as you know is going to cost I hope it works out for you and maybe there other options that I just can't think of? Good Luck

that's definately correct...i took a similiar route to you a few years back and before passing my NVQ3 and getting my JIB electrician card i had a senior graded electrical trainee card...the electrician card is gold and the trainee card is white...that bits not important i know but just thought i'd mention it...i seem to remember that once you've passed your ECS exam and you have your certificate you need to get a form to apply for your JIB card either from ECS or JIB...once you've filled it in with various things attached including a copy of your ecs cert,a photo and money of course and sent it off they will grade you...unless for some reason they've changed it recently your card will come back senior graded trainee...i seem to remember that there's even a section where you describe what grade you think you are....good luck with that one and finding work

Reply to any advice on untangling the red tape???? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net