Discuss any body encounter this? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to do a consumer unit swap out, but I have not encountered this scenario before. Take a alook at these photos', and if anybody has any answers i would appreciate some pointers. . . . thx in advance

Attachments

• mr goh1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 467
  • mr goh2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 403
these are just like old style breakers.... replace with new board and wire as normal..of course upto 17th edition standard with rcd protection...:)

You wont fit a C.U. in there , use the space for a wiring centre, extend existing cables to C.U. mounted adjacent meter cab. :D

wouldn't be so bad if you needed a tool to access them but on the ones i've seen you don't just open them up and your in. good old wylex.

on a seperate note i've seen these with what looks like an earth stud on the bottom of the enclosure where the incomer is glanded, i tested it out of interest and it was a good Ze, anyone know if this would be the earth that was intended for use? i know that the earth bar is screwed to the enclosure so i would assume so. fitted a rod anyway but just curious.

Yep. Working on one today. Rewire but that box is inside the property (3 bed house) All existing circuits wire via steel conduit in wall and I’ve got the option to fit a dual RCD board above the meter/CU box so no real issues. Going to drop new circuits through the ceiling and into the board via the back entry knock outs. The only issue I have is getting meter tails into the new board. Considering re-using one 25mm steel conduit drop coming into the meter cabinet to pull new tails through to ceiling void.

Can't you take the CCU inside the dwelling space I wouldn't want mine in a communal space.

I believe this is within the dwelling & not outside (The single socket below is a bit of a give-away:D)

I came across plenty of these years back doing council house rewires they are pretty easy to work with as there is plenty of space, I cant remember off hand if we stuck the new board within the enclosure or just above. :confused:

Reply to any body encounter this? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net