Discuss Armoured Cabling - do I really need it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

simon_a6

I have a cable running from a mains socket in my house, down the garden thru a white thick plastic tube.
The cable on leaving the house runs down the wall and along a patio with no tube around it. It's a standard, tho thickish, cable.

It runs into the shed, to a double socket that supplies a light, and sometimes a mower or laptop. Nothing heavy like heating.

I want to tap-off that socket to wire in a second light elsewhere in the garden.

Question is, do I need to replace that cable from the house to the shed with Armoured Cable, or will the standard thickish cable survive. It has been ok for a good 5-7 years. But I was told the weather will eventually get thru the grey plastic sheath.

Also, I will need to connect the cable from the new light, to some electrical cable, to fit into the shed. The cable on the light will I am sure be fine, but do I need armoured cable to to run from that to the shed?

The cable that cable with the outdoor light doesn't look anything special; hence why I ask if armoured cable is even necessary at all.

Finally, I have some strong "ball" lights. They are LED. They stand outside as the cabling would be impossible to dismantle each winter. And they are designed top be outdoors. The balls get water in them. Being LED there is no issue, BUT, it is a bit unsightly. The connections are all glued, so cannot be unscrewed I don't think to "empty" the water. Any ideas?

Hi Simon. Can't you get the electrician who will be fitting the second light to have a look at the existing circuit for you or are you attampting to fix the light yourself?
If the latter then we need more info and take some pics of your existing circuit and post them on here.
What cable is used? What size it it? What is the length? Who added this circuit? Does it wire to a fused spare in the house or just the back of a socket? Is the house circuit on a RCD?

Reply to Armoured Cabling - do I really need it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net