Discuss Best thing I ever done in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

crawf

-
Reaction score
I did a course 7 years ago to make me a spark in 2 months and soon realized what a bad mistake it was my first day on sight I was like a headless chicken!!!! I came away thinking I know nothing so I found an electrician with 30 years experience and started again learnt all I could spent the next 7 years doing every thing I could to gain the tech knowledge and I did that now I got nvq3 2391 and am just about to start a degree in electrical engineering moral of story 5 week courses teach u nothing if I want to be an eletrician it takes years not weeks thanks for reading

Hear Hear!

Wholeheartedly agree. Approx 6 yrs ago I nearly did a Electrical Trainee course but opted for full 3yrs at college instead. Now have 2391 and regs also, but I know nowt in comparison to some sparks.

They should make this a 'Sticky' to relay to all those that think you can fast track a 3-4 yrs college course and be competent, these courses are miss sold as instant sparkie where as in fact they are designed for people with experience in the industry who just need to brush up and get the paperwork.

They should make this a 'Sticky' to relay to all those that think you can fast track a 3-4 yrs college course and be competent, these courses are miss sold as instant sparkie where as in fact they are designed for people with experience in the industry who just need to brush up and get the paperwork.
yes and as such should be made illegal...

these courses should not be allowed in the first place there is no way you can do a Electrical Trainee and call your self an electrician its just dangerous these people get let loose claiming to be a 'spark',

I did a course 7 years ago to make me a spark in 2 months and soon realized what a bad mistake it was my first day on sight I was like a headless chicken!!!! I came away thinking I know nothing so I found an electrician with 30 years experience and started again learnt all I could spent the next 7 years doing every thing I could to gain the tech knowledge and I did that now I got nvq3 2391 and am just about to start a degree in electrical engineering moral of story 5 week courses teach u nothing if I want to be an eletrician it takes years not weeks thanks for reading

that should be a legal requirement to have as a testimonial in all these short course adverts.

best thing i ever did was to cash in the ex-missus life insurance and buy rugby world cup tickets.*

*true story.
;-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed mount of times I have argued with chippies and builders about this one said to me I could be a spark in 3 months if I wanted and I just laughed in his face oh and why on this topic who do kitchen fitters think they are they do a part p which is not a course the regs which is easy for any spark with knowledge and a 2392 which again is easy and think they are up there with the best for example went to look at a cooker install the kitchen fitter put a 11.5 kw oven on 4 mm and a 32 amp breaker and wondered why it kept tripping I said u did a few things wrong redo cable calc and maybe u might get it right

Reply to Best thing I ever done in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net