Discuss bizarre coal burner system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

what if i redesigned it?

No-one should be messing around with solid fuel heating and or controls unless they fully understand the consequences of getting it wrong.
Getting it wrong can cause an explosion.

Gas and oil boilers stop producing heat when the power goes off.
A solid fuel boiler keeps producing heat even when the power is off, until the fuel runs out.

i know ive kinda been thinking im a bit out of my depth here, dont think im the guy to fix this thing for her.
You think i should even hold off on putting the immersor back into play for her?
hold off as in dont touch it? run far far away? hide under the bed?

i know ive kinda been thinking im a bit out of my depth here, dont think im the guy to fix this thing for her.
You think i should even hold off on putting the immersor back into play for her?
hold off as in dont touch it? run far far away? hide under the bed?

Or maybe do the sensible thing and take the opportunity to learn about a system you are unfamiliar with.

A little research should reveal plenty of books and other documents on the subject

yes of course i would like to learn more about this system for future reference.
If it is indeed a system much like the one in the drawing in the link i posted then what im thinking is why does this one have 2 pipe stats?
Why does it even need a "high limit" stat?
Surely its a redundant?
And that it should function in the same way if it only had the "low limit" pipe stat on the return?

yes of course i would like to learn more about this system for future reference.
If it is indeed a system much like the one in the drawing in the link i posted then what im thinking is why does this one have 2 pipe stats?
Why does it even need a "high limit" stat?
Surely its a redundant?
And that it should function in the same way if it only had the "low limit" pipe stat on the return?

surprised at some of the replies to this thread.

This sort of system was very common years ago but thankfully rare now. A solid fuel boiler cannot be switched off like gas or oil,as long as it is lit it will continue to heat. For this reason it must be connected to an unrestricted gravity loop which must be vented. The loop generally is the indirect coil in the HW cylinder. A solid fuel boiler in full flight will heat a hot tank in no time,if no water is being drawn off it will heat to the point where it will boil. This is normal and the expanding water and steam simply vents out into the cold header tank in the loft. The heating is simply a pumped flow and return. The purpose of the low limit stat is to prevent the pump running if the pipe temperature is too low and pumping cold water around the system. The high limit stat is vital, remember there is nothing to prevent boiler water temperature reaching boiling point,if this was pumped round the heating circuit radiators would reach a dangerous temperature, the high limit stat is there to switch off the pump if the flow temp becomes dangerously high.

The obvious problem with the system is the danger of unrestricted rise in water temp which can result in boiling water from the taps....not good with kids and elderly,or anyone for that matter. Which is why you don't see them much these days.

This sort of system was very common years ago but thankfully rare now. A solid fuel boiler cannot be switched off like gas or oil,as long as it is lit it will continue to heat. For this reason it must be connected to an unrestricted gravity loop which must be vented. The loop generally is the indirect coil in the HW cylinder. A solid fuel boiler in full flight will heat a hot tank in no time,if no water is being drawn off it will heat to the point where it will boil. This is normal and the expanding water and steam simply vents out into the cold header tank in the loft. The heating is simply a pumped flow and return. The purpose of the low limit stat is to prevent the pump running if the pipe temperature is too low and pumping cold water around the system. The high limit stat is vital, remember there is nothing to prevent boiler water temperature reaching boiling point,if this was pumped round the heating circuit radiators would reach a dangerous temperature, the high limit stat is there to switch off the pump if the flow temp becomes dangerously high.

The obvious problem with the system is the danger of unrestricted rise in water temp which can result in boiling water from the taps....not good with kids and elderly,or anyone for that matter. Which is why you don't see them much these days.

you make sense mate, ive got a good idea how it works now, but without a good knowledge of plumbing ive decided to leave it alone. The company that put it in have obviously struggled with the task, so im not willing to trust that they have installed the necassary fail-safes. Without tearing the whole place apart, i cant be sure what pipe is what. I cant verify anything theyve done. Ive said to the customer and she understands. Back away without a bad move on my conscience

...At last...well said.

We do not know what system this is,or how it is or should be functioning,but it strikes me it does not have any fail-safe design.

You cannot have pumps and stats controlling possible uncontrolled or unwanted build up of heat.

This should be "designed in",BEFORE any additional features. Even with the gradual acceptance of functions such as dumping and quenching,as extra fail-safes,they never trump sound, basic hydrodynamics.

I have come across many systems,where pumps have been flung in,due to the lack of knowledge,willingness and money,to fit pipework to falls,etc.

Usually,it is Tarquin's mother and father,who see a splendid AGA at the Ideal Home Expo,and they brow-beat the 3rd plumber along,to vascular surgeon it to the same pipework the Glow-worm used, for the last thirty years...then wonder why nobody can make it reliable.

True story...two years back,a good mate of mine,and a quality gas engineer,got involved with a couple similar to ^,asked me to bob down to view their Rayburn boiler set-up,two heads being better than one,even if they are sheeps' heads...gave him the bad news...he passed it on...customer said "can't be true...we have spent £8000..." Nowt came of it.

One year later,another pal got a call,to install a posh feature wood-stove,in a conservatory,at the same property,got asked about wet systems,and said he knew someone...so,back i went...

Lady of the house arrived back,an hour into my investigation,which was 55 minutes after noticing that nothing had changed,she asked me what i was there for...i told her "Getting paid twice,for the same thing..."

I have yet to receive, one single Christmas card from her...:disappointed:

Reply to bizarre coal burner system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net