Discuss Cable calc advice needed... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gottssam

Hi there,

Have just picked up a job to price and i'm struggling to work out the best solution to the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scenario.... Large 5 bed house being split into 5 rooms for separate rental. Landlord has decided to install 5 power showers to each of the individual en-suites. I have advised him to go for 8.5kw showers to keep the load down.

There is also a mini-kitchen going into each room with a washing machine, oven (fan assisted) kettle, microwave etc.

I planned to install a 10 way RCD split load consumer unit with 5 40amp MCB's for the showers and 5 32amp MCB's for the kitchens. After applying diversity, i still have a maximum demand of over 100amps. Does it matter that there's only an 80amp 1361 main fuse? There is also already another cu with a few rings, lighting circuits etc from it.

Only just came out my time recently so still earning as i go. Any info/guidance would be great.

Cheers

The showers alone will be over 180A - no diversity allowed. This installation will require a 3 phase supply, something the landlord will have to pay for before you even contemplate carrying out any work.

When you say power shower i take it you mean an electric shower with heater element as a power shower to me is a hot and cold fed shower with an electric pump that uses practicaly no juice.

Sorry, i meant cold water fed, element heated showers (8.5kw).

I figured that this type of shower fell under "instantaneous water heater" in App1 of IEE OSG? Which states 100% of full load of first two, then 25% of remaining. Even still though that is over the 80amp main fuse. So am i correct in assuming my maximum demand after applying diversity needs to be within the 80amp main fuse rating?

Thanks for your help

You are correct in what you say with allowance for diversity. But these are 5 separate dwellings so personally i would not allow diversity as the showers could be used at the same time.

No you are not correct, the main fuse should be of sufficient rating without diversity applied.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cable calc advice needed... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net