Discuss cable clips into brick/concrete etc! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Quite often I find the (masonary) cable clips will not attach well to the mortar or brick, they either bend or if they do go in they are loose.

If this happens I remove the pin from the clip and put a 6 gauge screw through it instead and use a rawl plug, this obviously works well but is time consuming. Just wondered what everyone else does?

nail pin plug.jpg
made for the job

Yes.
I will try not to use them as it takes more time, but I have a 5mm masonry bit in my tool belt for just this use, drilling a shallow 5mm hole is not too slow and the clips are then easy to fix in place and the clip covers the pin plug.
If you are really stuck then a 4mm hole and half a pin plug can do the same job (or even the hole you have just made trying to get the clip in place:shame:).
If the clips will just not stay in then, for me, this is the answer.

There may be other answers, obviously for brick clipping into the brick mortar boundary is the easiest, but it does need reasonable mortar and not the "beautifully" raked out joints. But for concrete what else is there?

Yes.
I will try not to use them as it takes more time, but I have a 5mm masonry bit in my tool belt for just this use, drilling a shallow 5mm hole is not too slow and the clips are then easy to fix in place and the clip covers the pin plug.
If you are really stuck then a 4mm hole and half a pin plug can do the same job (or even the hole you have just made trying to get the clip in place:shame:).
If the clips will just not stay in then, for me, this is the answer.

There may be other answers, obviously for brick clipping into the brick mortar boundary is the easiest, but it does need reasonable mortar and not the "beautifully" raked out joints. But for concrete what else is there?

Thanks as usual.

I think I will give them a go as even though you still have to drill a hole it would be quicker than putting a screw into the clip and then screwing in.

Why waste hard earned dosh paying for boxes of plastic pin plugs? use a piece of scrap wood bash it in the hole bash yer clip in job done Bob's yer Uncle end of

Mechanical protection of cables, either cap, trunk or tube..

So clipping isn't permitted then????
This sort of tripe posted by people who should know better is one of the reasons I dont spend much time on here now. A perfectly reasonable question has been posted about the problem of clipping to masonry and someone states it's not allowed without any explanation or regulations to back it up. By all means have your personal preferences Tazz but DONT post them as fact!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to cable clips into brick/concrete etc! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net