Discuss Cable routing in a wall or false ceiling. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

a1colly

Hi All

Appologies if this has been posted before im sure you can point me in the right direction.

Newley qualified and spent most my time doing second fixes, but heres the situation.

Running first fix main ring in a resedential premises with concrete walls and ceilings (imagine a WW2 bunker) cables will be clipped to ceiling with false ceiling applied after, is there any rules to running those cables ie best pratice group together alowing for spacing or is it free reign stick them where i need them?

Secondly it comes to the walls, these can be chased, unlike the ceilings, but due to the constructe of the building i need to run cables outside of the regs, 522.6.6, where i need to run the cables in a couple of 'L shaped' insatnces is this allowd under any circumstance other than those in the above reg or do i have to compy and run the cables the extra 50meters to comply? The circulit in question is protected by an RCD.

If sny more info need will add cheers for help

ceiling, run em where you want as long as 50mm or more from surface

walls, they have to be in line and rcd protected

though you can bring your cables down the corner of the room within 150mm

Last edited by a moderator:
and horizontally to and from accessories

I assume the ceiling is being batoned out

I would use some all round band and try and keep the cables ( as far as possible) in a main run,branching off for switches/lights/sockets at 90* angles with those items.
This main run would be run in the center of the batoned fixings to reduce the chances of the the cables getting nailed,
Where you have L shaped runs,such as a socket under a window,it is best to fit a single box where the cable bends, so that there is a safe zone vertical and horizontal
Blank plate the single box when 2nd fixing

You must be working up the Gurnos then :eek:

Reply to Cable routing in a wall or false ceiling. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net