Discuss Can I provide electrical certificates?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Michael0703

Hi

I have NVQ level 3, 2330 and 2391.
Was wondering if I can provide electrical certificates, to sign off work. Or do I need to be registered with niceic etc.

Any advice welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to comply with BS7671, an EIC or MEIWC must be issued stating that the work detailed in the Certificate complies.
There is no requirement in BS7671 for an electrician to register with the NICEIC etc.
Although I image the NICEIC etc. would love there to be.

The Building Regulations require that a compliance certificate be issued for any work which is notifiable.
For electrical work, this is covered by Part P.
A home owner, or someone who is ordering the work, can either make notification prior to the work comencing, or employ a tradesman registered with NICEIC etc. and that tradesman can self certificate and arrange a compliance certificate be issued.

So no, you don't have to be registered to issue electrical certificates, but you do if you want to issue building regulations compliance certificates.

Was wondering if I can provide electrical certificates

Yes, good sparks certify all their Jobs, you can buy certs from wholesalers and even from the NICEIC which have green certs for non registered members, or you can photo copy the certs in the regs book, which ever you choose it's a good way to ensure your customers know they have a professional doing their work and not Bob from the pub who likes a oncer in a brown envelope under the bathroom door.

The only requirement is competence and full understanding of current regulations in your work and your testing....if anything was to ever go wrong your work and self cert' would be scrutinised for non compliance or errors but saying this it would anyway even if you are a member of a body.

You will also need to have served your time and the more experience you have the stronger your case will be if it ever came to it.

Imcompetence kills in our trade and been a member of a body will not get you a get out of jail free card...they are just money making businesses that dont actually need to exist as we already had a recognised trade body to start with.

Last edited:

Reply to Can I provide electrical certificates?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net