Discuss Caravan Sites in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Question for those that are into caravan sites. On a recent thread, someone mentioned in passing whilst talking about TT systems that when the new regulations come out, many things will alter re caravan sites. Anyone here in the know? Could it be about earthing? Can't think it will be about RCD's. Another thing I've heard is about metering, but I can't think why metering would come under BS7671 regs. Thanks

No news then so far. Something about different buildings, bars, restaurants, swimming pools etc have to be separately SUB- metered at each and every intake position to each the building. Possibly by end of 2015?

No news then so far. Something about different buildings, bars, restaurants, swimming pools etc have to be separately SUB- metered at each and every intake position to each the building. Possibly by end of 2015?

For what reason?? I can understand if the caravan park has leased these facilities out to third parties, but if they are all owned and operated by the park owner who say's each building/facility needs to be sub metered, supposedly with the addition of standing charges.

Instead of sodding around with crap like this, they should be sorting out all the contradictions that still abound, as well as other areas that are in dire need of amendments!!

Know what you mean Engineer54...........It's all about energy saving etc. What areas using to much and could conserve energy. I'm just trying to establish where these rumors /stories are coming from. I'll look at Part L to see if applicable to Caravan Sites

It would be for new installations and is so the owners of the buildings can monitor where energy is consumed within their site.

It's now common on commercial buildings that every distribution board is sub metered and often remotely monitored using modbus connections.

I believe it's to comply with Part L but the builds I have been involved with have also been certified by BREEAM.

Know what you mean Engineer54...........It's all about energy saving etc. What areas using to much and could conserve energy. I'm just trying to establish where these rumors /stories are coming from. I'll look at Part L to see if applicable to Caravan Sites

Energy saving my arse, more like raking in more in standing charges if each of these additional meters are subject to standing charges, which i can't see the them providing free of charge...

Energy saving my arse, more like raking in more in standing charges if each of these additional meters are subject to standing charges, which i can't see the them providing free of charge...

Not DNO's supplies............therefore no additional standing charges. Just sub metering. Apparently not just for caravan sites but generally everything. I suppose industrial, commercial etc. Still not had time to find and read Part L

Not DNO's supplies............therefore no additional standing charges. Just sub metering. Apparently not just for caravan sites but generally everything. I suppose industrial, commercial etc. Still not had time to find and read Part L

Still can't see any real point for having sub-meters, you'll be able to count on one hand those that will actually use them in an effort to save energy!!

Still can't see any real point for having sub-meters, you'll be able to count on one hand those that will actually use them in an effort to save energy!!

Apparently from what I can gather, there is no choice, must be done as comes under Part "L" building regs L1B L2A L2B. All to do with reducing CO2 omissions.

It depends on the size of the organisation. If expenditure on energy is high enough, it's now common to have an energy manager or even a small team of people dedicated to reducing energy consumption.

Large energy users also have to pay a tax called CRC (carbon reduction commitment) on top of their energy tariff.

The very first rule of energy management is "you can't save it if you don't know you're using it", hence sub meters and remote data logging packages are now normal in large sites.

It depends on the size of the organisation. If expenditure on energy is high enough, it's now common to have an energy manager or even a small team of people dedicated to reducing energy consumption.

Large energy users also have to pay a tax called CRC (carbon reduction commitment) on top of their energy tariff.

The very first rule of energy management is "you can't save it if you don't know you're using it", hence sub meters and remote data logging packages are now normal in large sites.

Thanks, what is considered large? Where is the starting point?

Reply to Caravan Sites in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net