Discuss Ceiling light replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tiddler

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I'm changing an old ceiling light but I have more wires than I was expecting. Please see the pictures below.

If I leave the connection block with the red cables in and then buy some connection strip the same as what the red wire is connected to can I just attach the 2 black wires to the new live wire and the single black wire to the new neutral wire?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 20210313_153941.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210313_153949.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210313_155359.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210313_155340.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210313_155738.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 21
you leave the 3 reds as they are. no connection to the actual light. the single black is light live. the 2 blacks together are the light Neutral,

you leave the 3 reds as they are. no connection to the actual light. the single black is light live. the 2 blacks together are the light Neutral,
Thanks for your reply but is the single black not neutral looks like its doing to the blue? Also can I just connect the correct wires from the new light fitting using some connection block?

Thanks

Unless its my eyes (more than likely) I can see the cpc's twisted together (earth conductors) these will need to be sleeved and go into a connector block (preferably wago) of some sort. I'm guessing the last image is for the new light and is more than likely double insulated / class 2? If not, then you may be required to extend the cpc to an earth connection in the new light.

Reply to Ceiling light replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views
1964 house old style wiring Need to wire a extractor fan up Is it possible to wire the extractor fan to report switch there's 2 red wires in the...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, hope all are well. I'm changing a ceiling rose and have lost the diagram showing where everything was connected (to the old light)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some advice on the wiring for a new ceiling light. I have taken down the original light, and I'm left with the wiring in the image...
Replies
Views
I have a strip light in the kitchen operated from a single switch. I want to replace it with a straight bar 4 spot array. There are three supply...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock