Discuss Ceiling light wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rich6926

DIY
Reaction score
So I received my Wayfair light today - it’s a six light semi flush ceiling light.
I fitted it however only 4 out of the 6 bulbs lit up (all bulbs rotated and all work so not bad bulbs).

the wiring in the ceiling is a standard end of line 3 wires - live/ neutral/ earth.

the light has 4 connections;
Earth - green yellow
Neutral - x3 blue wires going into 1 junction
Live - x2 black wires going into 1 connection.

great so I wired these up with the ceiling wires.
As mentioned only 4 of the 6 light bulbs worked.

the 4 th wire is a single black wire - it has a red end cover and a label saying earth -
This totally blew my mind so I ignored it,,, any ideas what this is and should it be connected or have I just got a faulty light40D6FA22-4FBA-4191-8492-94E7FED2F494.jpeg

Attachments

• 4EF93E25-B3D8-4B56-B438-97004C2BED21.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 18
It appears the black should not have that earth tag on. It is possible that black is the other live so it can be switched at partial or full brightness but that is an assumption. What do the instructions say.

It appears the black should not have that earth tag on. It is possible that black is the other live so it can be switched at partial or full brightness but that is an assumption. What do the instructions say.
It’s a Wayfair special with very basic instructions ,,, more info on how to clean it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 19
Put your live into the single black with the earth tag on lt and see if the other lamps function. If they do you need a link across the two terminals for the blacks.

Put your live into the single black with the earth tag on lt and see if the other lamps function. If they do you need a link across the two terminals for the blacks.
Excellent,, I will give it a go later - that’s what I was thinking ?

Reactions: DPG
It is Polish.
Przewod pradowy means power cable.
Klasa ochronna means protection class.
Przewod ochronna means protective conductor.

Reply to Ceiling light wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net