Search the forum,

Discuss ceramic / induction hobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi, i have been asked to fit a ceramic hob or induction hob, my friend is unsure which type they will buy yet. Not sure if it is going to be a new oven as well.

Anyway, was just wondering is there anything i should know before fitting this, this will be the first cooker / hob i have done. (i know it is notifiable).

What are the typical power ratings of such hobs / cookers.

I am just after a 'heads up', as av mentioned previously, i don't do hardly any domestic work (work for a commercial company).
Cheers guys
Craig

Any cooking appliance over 2kW should now have its own dedicated radial circuit from the CU.

So, if there is currently a gas hob and he is changing it for an induction then you should install a sep suitably rated circuit.

Thanks Jason i understand that.

I was thinking, new circuit form cu to to cooker switch (cable size dependant on power of hob) the same cable from cooker switch to outlet.
Now would i use the same size twin from outlet and hard wire the new hob, or do they usually have a flex that i can connect to the outlet.

My other question is, if the oven is gas i understand all you need is an ignition feed, which i have seen a few times to be a flex and plug. If so would i spur of the cooker outlet to a socket to power this or would i have to spur of the kitchen ring to power this?

But if it is an electric oven, can this be fed off the same cooker outlet point as the hob, providing th cable can cope with the overall current demand, and again would this be wired in T & E or do these come with a flex?

Sorry to sound dumb, just want to make sure i have everything covered an learn as much as possible, that is why i am at the forum after all.

Cheers

Craig

Reply to ceramic / induction hobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net