Discuss certification question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elec02444

hello all,

New to this site so take it easy on me!

just a question regarding a minor job thats now got me thinking what to do.

im a JIB approved sparks with 2391 17th ect ect mainly work on large commercial builds, domestic work certification process is a little different to what im used to.

Went round a family friends to install another switching point from 1way to 2way (lounge had arch knocked through the wall so 2 doors now instead of one.

Checked bonding ect and got on with the job, the lighting circuit was protected by 60898 and because ive buried a new cable in the wall upgraded the MCB to a RCBO.

Was going to hand a minor works cert in for this job. half hour later the rcbo tripped when i turned the downstairs light on! a bit of head scratching and investigated that the circuit has a 'borrowed' neutral from the upstairs light. im going to put both circuits into one rcbo (ive taken loading into consideration). now do i need to periodic test existing circuit as well as the circuit ive altered. whats certs would you guys hand in?

also its not really possible to correct circuit because it will involve chasing a wall and my friend do not want this (just decorated upstairs and downstairs)

any comments would be much appreciated.

Not the greatest evil in the world but you have broken a reg in the green bible by combining up and down in one fuse. I understand why you have done it but its not really the final solution, just a temp fix.

One to check for in future!

you can get fancy remote switches as a fix - or run a new cable!

yes i think im going to go ahead with this remote switching route, adding a cable is not an easy thing to do with the situation given. And at least then the borrowed neutral situation is completely removed. never used these remote components im guessing i can purchase 2g 2way, and simple to install?!

can't see how that will get rid of the problem. you'll still have the borrowed N.

The borrowed neutral is normally coursed by sending the live feed for the landing light from the downstairs 2 gang hall light switch a way to fix this is by removing this feed and getting a live feed from the upstairs lights, this can be easy if there are stud walls upstairs and you can get in the loft or it could be a mission!!

lol can get in the loft but the walls are brickwork and newish plastered. So i cannot purchase a fancy 2gang 2way remote switch one for upstairs and one for downstairs and do away with the strappers so the switches 'talk' to eachother!?

you'll still have the problem of the L feed to landing light coming from downstairs, no matter what you do. as i see it, the only reg. you are going against ( how it is now) is 314.1. i'd leave it as it is, both in same RCBO, and note on cert. that it requires improvement whenever client can accept decor damage.

he can sort it. but that would mean decor damage which customer don't want.

Thank you telectrix, but with regards to the lighting circuit i have not altered im now putting it with downstairs so would you advise a test cert for the upstairs circuit too? i suppose i would because the breaker characteristics have now changed from 60898 to 61009. just a periodic test for that circuit?

not a periodic ( which is now renamed as a condition report. do a minor works for what is now a single circuit.

putting both lighting circuits in one rcbo would not bother me , a fault would only take out all the lights they would still have sockets and could plug a lamp in , sometimes the regs go 2 far , i use my loaf on some jobs and ignore the regs.

better put my hard hat on

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to certification question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net