Discuss Certifying PV Install as an subbie - has anyone read this? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Von Vardo

Taken from the NIC website:

It is important to remember that the electrical contractor is self‐certifying that the ‘whole job’ complies with ALL relevant parts of the building regulations, for example ‐ the installation of a Solar PV system could include the structural and electrical requirements as part of the notification to the local building control. The electrical contractor is taking sole responsibility for ensuring the work is compliant with the relevant building regulation requirements as part of the self‐certification process.
To summarize, a contractor that is registered with NICEIC for full scope domestic installer will have been assessed both for their competences to carry out electrical work in compliance with the requirements of Part P and for their knowledge and appreciation of the other parts of the building regulations that are relevant to the electrical work they carry out and are therefore deemed competent to self‐certify that their work complies with the building regulations, that is all the applicable parts and not just Part P.
As an example ‐ Part A: Structural safety, Part B: Fire safety, Part C: Site preparation and damp proofing and Part P: Electrical safety, all of which may be applicable when carrying out the installation of a Solar PV system.

How does this affect those of us who do the electrical work for PV companies?

If you are self-certifying under Part P then you are taking responsibility for everything - assuming no one else on the job is notifying Building Control themselves.

Your competence, insurance and fees should reflect this.

This was discussed at some length last year when this clarification was sought and given about the different aspects of Building Regs.

it's only reasonable I think that as the installing electrician you take responsibility for the electrical installation, DC and AC

Ted - Thanks, I must have missed that. I'll try searching again.

Moggy - I'm perfectly happy to take responsibility for my work, i.e. the electrical install. However, the issue that is worrying me is that by self certifying the job as required under Part P I will also be taking responsibility for aspects of the PV install which are beyond my control, i.e. the roofing work and structural design.

I wouldn't interpret it as that.
The references to the other parts of the building regs I would deem to be in connection with the electrical installation, as that is the part subject to notification to building control, but then, it is the NICEIC so who knows!!!!

They could I suppose stretch a point as the panels are the electrical generator (panels) so are part of the electrical installation but I think that would be a bit harsh. I see your point though, It has the potential for opening a whole can of worms!

Would you be expected to take responsibility for the construction of a building just because you put the electrics in?

As I understand it, you are not resposible for the constuction of the building, but you need to confirm that the stucture of the building can support the extra weight of the panels that you will be fitting to it.
I have researched this and have had so many conflicting views, it is not only structural but also water ingress and yes it is a can of worms.
It also appears where you trained for your MCS, apparently, NICEIC do not cover you for any structural works, but some of the others do.
My opinion (again for what it worth) is you are covered by part P for electrics, then you need structual calculations for the roof as well as wind loadings, and also some proof for water ingress (how?), then, but they all differ, building regs @ £102.12 (that is the price for my local building control) then you are covered.

To be honest, would you really expect an electrician to know if the roof is capable of supporting an extra 300KG's of weight?

It would be like asking a plumber to remap the ECU in your car..

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, but if they're not competent to asses the loading, or haven't got someone else involved who is, then they ought to not be self certifying it and should be getting building control in... would be how the arguement would go there.

Reply to Certifying PV Install as an subbie - has anyone read this? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net