Discuss Charges in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lplate

Good Day Everyone,

During college days and apprenticeship times I used to do some minor electrical domestic job , jobs that don't need to certify, I have gained my qualification now and become a NAPIT member , in other words I am now self employed ( not VAT registered yet )

I normally charge my costumers this way, e.g. lighting and power socket in the Garage which took me 3 hours to do the job , materials and labour all together for £70. Changing and adding new PIR lighting in the church 5 of them labour only which took me half day to finish the job for £75.

Please note that all of this jobs are on top of the existing circuits.

As for now, since I can now sign off my work, how much roughly the minimum charges. I am here in Wales area

Thank you all.

kind regards,
Lplate

phil's about right. minimum charge about £40 ( you can always discount a tenner for pensioners/disabled/etc. if you want), then after the first 1/2 hour hourly rate of £20-£25. add materials with a 20% mark-up.

phil's about right. minimum charge about £40 ( you can always discount a tenner for pensioners/disabled/etc. if you want), then after the first 1/2 hour hourly rate of £20-£25. add materials with a 20% mark-up.

I really appreciate all your quick reply here, I am just wondering with the %20 mark up for the materials, what I did actually is I will get all the materials from the electrical supplier with a trades discount so whatever amount or discount the suppliers gives me , that is what I charge to the costumer too , in other words, my costumers are already discounted with the materials rather that them buying in a normal retail price.

As I have mentioned to my other post that I always consider myself as a trainee, there are still lots of things to learn.

thank you all again for the info.

I really appreciate all your quick reply here, I am just wondering with the %20 mark up for the materials, what I did actually is I will get all the materials from the electrical supplier with a trades discount so whatever amount or discount the suppliers gives me , that is what I charge to the costumer too , in other words, my costumers are already discounted with the materials rather that them buying in a normal retail price.

As I have mentioned to my other post that I always consider myself as a trainee, there are still lots of things to learn.

Because you have used your time to source them and also should anything go wrong during the warranty period of a product you have supplied you have to get that money back somehow because the supplier or manufacturer will more than likely not be paying for you for it.

yeah. say for example 6mm t/e cable is £2.50/m retail, trade is £1.75, and you get it for £1.25, then charge customer the £1.75, so then you have your mark-up, and customer gets it cheaper than at b&q. everyones happy.

Be very wary of naivety mate, it will bite you on the arse. Guaranteed. It's something that we've probably all been guilty of at some point.
It's no good thinking "Oh the customer won't pay that" because that same customer will probably think nothing of spending a bloody fortune on the latest must have gadget. They will pay for expertise, some will object but most will pay. Don't sell yourself too cheaply as that will ring alarm bells.
If you're flat out but skint you're not charging eneough. If you're getting loads of quoting opportunities but no work you're too expensive. It's sometimes a difficult balance to get right but now is the time to take a good hard look at it.
Good luck.

If you keep your charges that low, you will become a very busy, poor, fool.

You need to up your rates to as the others have suggested to £40 first hour, then £20 and mark up your materials.

Just bear in mind you are highly unlikely to work 48 weeks per year, 40 hours per week. Do your sums based on 44 weeks and 30 hours.... so work on a 4 day week.

Then remember your overheads will run at about £25.00 per day for a 5 day week.

So £40 + 7 x £20 = £180 x 4 = £720 MINUS £125 x 44 so if you achieve these hours week in, week out, with all the out of hours on top you may make about £26K per year before tax, NI, pension etc.

Your rates of about £150 x 4 = £600 MINUS £125 = £475 x 44 = about £21K

Just remember being SE means lots of upaid hours, no sick, no holiday.

All of your advice are so helpful.. I will surely take it ( Balance it for sure )

Thank you very much.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Reply to Charges in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net