Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Checking for breaks On A Long Cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

I know how to check for breaks on short cables from end to end but how would i check for breaks on a long cable ( over 20 metres) using a multimeter?

Thanks

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If it's a single cable.....a test lead.
DIY.….beginning to worry me.

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'm not worried....not until i find out if it's connected to anything or not...:)

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed
Once you test and determine there is a break,the fun can then start, using your meter to measure resistances calculate exactly where along its length that break has occurred

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Simply check continuity,on each conductor,until you find O/C....then,pull the copper inner conductor,out of the insulation.
Then,measure the length of that copper,and note it down.
Measure the total length of the cable,deduct the length of the copper,and then measure that distance,from the other end.

....This,is where your break is. ;)

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Simply check continuity,on each conductor,until you find O/C....then,pull the copper inner conductor,out of the insulation.
Then,measure the length of that copper,and note it down.
Measure the total length of the cable,deduct the length of the copper,and then measure that distance,from the other end.

....This,is where your break is. ;)
then when he's cut the cable at the break, re-insert the copper conductor he's pulled out, and repair. :D:D:D.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Checking for breaks On A Long Cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom